• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much do you pay?

Would you rather use a cheap, but rubbish vets?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phoebesmummy9

Warren Veteran
For your VHD and Myxi vaccs? I get them both for £30 per bunny, so it works out at about £15 an injection! Does anyone else think its expensive?
I know the vet up the road from me does them for £20 for both
The question is:
Would you rather pay more and go to a good vets or less and go to a vet that isnt so good?

my old vets charged £23 per vaccination, the new one i go to charge £26 each, but there is another rabbit vet near me i have just found out do half price vaccinations on a tuesday.

i pay more to go to the proper rabbit vets and i still would even if it was double. :)

I have two vets. One for routine checkups, and the other for more serious problems.

One of the vets charges around £16 and the other is £19 per vacc. I'd say £15 each was on the cheaper side.

As long as the vet knows what he/she is doing with my rabbit, then that makes me happy. None of the vets near me have much experience with rabbits, and I don't drive. I'd still rather travel further to get to a good vet, even if it has to be by bus.

I have two vets. One for routine checkups, and the other for more serious problems.

One of the vets charges around £16 and the other is £19 per vacc. I'd say £15 each was on the cheaper side.

As long as the vet knows what he/she is doing with my rabbit, then that makes me happy. None of the vets near me have much experience with rabbits, and I don't drive. I'd still rather travel further to get to a good vet, even if it has to be by bus.

Can I be nosey and ask why you use two different vets?

Can I be nosey and ask why you use two different vets?

One is a bit closer, so would be fine for routine things. They've been recommended for rabbits by another member on the forum, but not for any major problems. The other one is... a lot further away, but the vet for my rabbit is with the RWA and has an interest in rabbit medicine. If anything bad happened to my bun, I'd want her to receive the best attention she could. They also have an emergency service, which would be better in a serious situation :)

i would pay more for a good vet i pay 16.50 if buying them individually or 22 if i buy them together so think 30 is about right x

I've used two vets in the last year, I've just paid £23.70 for 1st myxi vac and 17.70 for the second (two rabbits in same appointment) at a very rabbit savvy vets. ... local vets charge £15.13.... It really adds up when you have a few rabbits.

The local vet just gave Tinks a cylap jab for £15.13. My other three rabbits were due at the same time as each other so had Lapinject £56 for the three of them (the breakdown was something like 1st - £25, 2nd - £18, 3rd - £12). The main reason I chose to take Tink to local vet was that travel is now really upsetting her, she did okay with the cylap last year so I thought it was the lesser of two evils. The vet today gave her a really thorough examination and was very considerate of the fact she didn't like being handled. I was happy with decision to take her locally.

I've just re-read the heading on the poll. I'm happy to look around to save money but would not use a rubbish vet because of cost. I have saved with vaccinations at local vets but would never compromise my bunnies in doing so. I'd carefully chose which vet sees my rabbits, especially with the myxi vacc, no point in having it done at all if they don't do it properly.... so I didn't vote as neither option is strictly true... travel being the main consideration in my choice (20 miles v 1 mile)

Last edited:
Can i ask why such a vast difference in price?:)

i would imagine it is because normally once a batch of vhd injection is opened it has a very short shelf life so they often have to charge you for whole bottle...but jane has i believe 43 bunnys so spread between them i expect its at least a bottles worth!!!

my vets charge the public £29.95 per jab..it includes a health check but still a bit on the high side
luckily they give us a good discount...and have to add very good rabbit vets which is most important:D

I dont think I could trust another vet with my bunnys :?
Phoebe esp knows the vets at the pracice now so comes tootling out of his box to see :lol:
It works out for all my bunnys to be vaccinated twice yearly against myxi, plus a VHD it works out about £180 a year! :shock:

neither poll options are accurate for me, but I put the one that's the closest! I pay £13 per vaccination, but my vets are fab. They live by the rules of prevention is better than a cure, so they offer all vaccs at cheap prices!

Back