• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny smells bad!!

LuckyClover

Young Bun
I dont know if this is the right place to post this question....
But my rabbit has been smelling REALLY BAD the last few days. And I dont want to hold him anymore because he just has this strong odor! And now my house smells bad, too! :(
Please, if anyone has suggestions, tell me! I was thinking about giving him a bath, but I read online this might be traumatizing to your rabbit. Please help me!!! I'd be happy for your responses!! :D

Is he neutered?

Does he have any poo stuck to him, or any urine on him? What does his poo look like?

If not, you may want to check his scent glands and clean them.

They can be found either side of the anus. Take a damp cotton bud and gently wipe it out, really carefully because its obviously a sensitive area.

I wiped my bunny, finally. (He resisted and didnt like me touching him.) But it seems to of make th smell soften down a bit. He still smells but its not as strong. instead of his scent glands, my bunny's smell seems to come from his face. especially near his cheeks and chin. Does anyone know whats going on??

p.s. My bunny is not neutured. It cost WAY too much money. But, I want to get him neutered....

I've never really smelled something like this, but I would say something like rotten food, or fresh poo that smells terrible. Or like both of those together! Yuck! My bunny never smelled this way before. Thank you for your responses. :bunny:

my first thought was maybe teeth problems. maybe spurs? i know when matt had spurs, he was grooming my pillow and it smelled really bad after, the saliva. could be teeth trouble.

I think I would get this rabbit to the vets asp as it could be a number of things, a burst abscess, I have known a rabbit to have a smelly mouth due to some food stuck on a molar spur, vent disease... You need to handle your bunny to check her so it's important you get him seen to by a vet.

No, he's not drooling. I tried to look at his teeth, but he struggled away from me. Everything seems fine, except for his smells. Right now he is sitting near me licking himself on his side.

No, he's not drooling. I tried to look at his teeth, but he struggled away from me. Everything seems fine, except for his smells. Right now he is sitting near me licking himself on his side.

the vet will beable to check the back teeth. could be many reasons for this so best get to the vet as soon as. :)

i would definately get him checked out by the vet, he could easily have a abscess and be eating/ acting normally. Better to be safe than sorry.

If he is smelling that bad there is obviously something wrong and if it's coming from the mouth he needs it checking and does need to see a vet, if he smells so bad he may attract flies and could end up with 'Flystrike' which could cost your bunny his life.

would he die from this? I love my bunny alot and i dont want him to die, but my time and money is very limited right now. How long do you thnk I can wait until I go to the vet? At last a day I hope???

would he die from this? I love my bunny alot and i dont want him to die, but my time and money is very limited right now. How long do you thnk I can wait until I go to the vet? At last a day I hope???

If it's an abcess which seems plausible if it smells them it could be fatal very quickly. This is the reason when you go to the dentist to get an abcess sorted that they give you antibiotics to get rid of the infection before pulling the tooth and getting pus in the bloodstream. The smell could also be down to necrotic flesh which will get eaten away if not treated and won't grow back.

Really important he sees a vet. Better now than when he gets worse, it will be less expensive treatment sorted early. Can you borrow some money maybe?

Back