• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I'm new!

LMc

Young Bun
Hey, Ive been using this site for a while, for lots of info and advice but never actually posted, but Im a bit worried.
My gorgeous house bunny was having his usual morning sleep on the sofa and has jumped off but managed to not land quite right and bumped his face on floor. He instantly kept licking his mouth and nose and washed his face. He was fine about me picking him up and cuddling him and when Ive looked he has got a small cut under his nose. Its not actual bleeding more like a graze. Do you think he'll be alright? Im a slight worrier!
Coincidently we're actually going to the vet tomorrow for his pre neutering appointment so I will get them to check him then but do you think its ok to wait?
He is eating annd drinking like normal. The only slight change is that he is litter trained but did have an "accident" about 10 mins later on kitchen floor.
Sorry for the long post.
xxx

Hi.

He should be fine. If a child goes and bumps their face, you don't go rushing them off to the hospital do you?

As long as he is eating, drinking and acting himself, he'll be ok :)

hello:D:wave:

if bun seems ok eating, drinking and pooping, i doubt you have too much to worry about but at least you can double check with your vet tomorrow to put your mind at rest.

I would definitely ask your vet to check both his lower and upper jaw and teeth. A bump on the chin 'can' sometimes cause a hairline fracture in the jaw or rock the teeth in their sockets (particularly incisor teeth) but it would depend on the force and where the impact occured. You are right to be concerned and cautious, and I would therefore just set your mind at rest with your vet. A soft carpeted floor is likely to absorb the impact better than a hard floor. Our bun toppled out of his hutch (he was nudged from behind by his bunny companion! :roll:) and landed chin first on a concrete floor, he fractured both his lower incisors at the root and chipped his top incisors, he was very lucky not to fracture his jaw, although a vet can't tell this always on examination, it would require an Xray, but he had no 'jaw fracture related' symptoms in the following weeks so the impact was absorbed solely by his teeth. Immediately after it happened, despite the damage done, apart from a cut on his lip he appeared normal and continued to eat throughout the night (with pain relief) and on exam by the vet the following morning she removed two completely broken incisors that were not at all obviously broken the night before! :shock: So whilst this is unusual, bunnies will eat through mild pain (as prey animals) and getting your vet to check him over is a very sensible idea tomorrow, just keep an eye on his appetite throughout the day and if any concerns I would see a vet today. I'm sure he is fine though :)

Hi, as long as he's behaving normally and, like has already been said, is eating, drinking and pooing, you'll be fine to wait until you take him to the vet tomorrow.

My house bunny is constantly doing things like this - he's quite clingy, so if I leave or enter a room I have to check he's not trying to get through the door with me as he's been bumped on the head a few times! He also gets under my feet when I walk so has been kicked too - never hard but I do worry I'll hurt him one day. :roll:

I think in this sense rabbits are pretty robust but it's best to check it out if you're heading to the dreaded V.E.T. anyway.

Back