• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

baby rabbbit dies unexpectadly??

amylou1978

New Kit
Hi, wondered if anyone would be able to give me any ideas?
I have a litter of 8(now 7) of 6 week old baby rabbits. I let them have a run yesterday in a run in the garden, they have all been fine, running around eating and drinking well.
Though when i went into the hutch this morning 1 of them had died over night? Is this common and any idea of how it may of happened?
Its upsetting and feel i may have done wrong letting them out? Its always been ok with my others.
Thankyou Amy :(

I'm sorry you lost your kit.

At this age they are very vulnerable to gut problems because their gut is going through a massive change at weaning.

Did it have a mucky bum?

I wouldn't let the babies eat much fresh because potentially they seem to be vulnerable, and only let them eat what mum eats.

You might find others start to show problems given one has, so keep a close eye on any lethargy, if they make a sloshy noise when you hold them, any change in poo habits, etc, anything different.

aww hun im so so sorry , sad to say this can happen some times there is no answer to why
you can let them out that is no problem i let mine out from 5 weeks for a short time ;)
too many greens can cause bloat but sometimes babies just dont survive sad to say

aww hun im so so sorry , sad to say this can happen some times there is no answer to why
you can let them out that is no problem i let mine out from 5 weeks for a short time ;)
too many greens can cause bloat but sometimes babies just dont survive sad to say

As far as I know and understand from my breeder friends, whilst the kits are feeding from mum, they have greater immunity from fresh foods and so can eat what mum eats, but when they don't have her protection it can then start to cause problems? That's what I was going for in my post, especially with how rich the grass seems to be at the moment. That's all.

Having said that, one of mine had a bad reaction to grass even while feeding from mum so it does still carry a risk if they are being fed by mum.

Back