• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lola is a very poorly girl/we had to let her go/ Now have PM results

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
:(

Lola has had chronic health problems for the whole time we have had her (1 year) but since Friday night she has slowly been deteriorating. She saw the vet Saturday morning who booked her in for tests today.

She is having an ultrasound done and they were hoping to do an endoscopy but theirs isn't small enough to pass through a rabbit. X-rays a couple of months ago revealed nothing abnormal.

If nothing shows up on the Ultrasound they are thinking of giving her a GA to double check her teeth as food is falling from her mouth even though she is eating enough to get by.

We are all really confused as we don't know where the problem lies, there is obviously something wrong with her stomach but nothing has showed up so far, her teeth look OK consciously but she isn't eating normally, she has been very cold and pale the last few days so I am wondering if she has problems with her heart :?

I really hope we can get some answers today and we can make our little girl feel better again

Last edited:
Liz, am sure you've thought of this already, but is it syringe food that is falling out of her mouth or food she is eating herself? The first happened with us and we discovered it was partly personality, which i'm sure doesn't apply to Lola, but also partly dehydration contributing to an unwillingness to eat, oral fluids really improved this significantly. The latter makes me wonder if perhaps she has some nerve damage from a stroke perhaps? Nerve supply to face, mouth or tongue? Probably way off the mark here - just with her history, if cardiovascular history also then thinking sort of mini TIA? Grasping at straws sorry :oops:
I expect something soft tissue mouth related is far more likely. Hope her tests go well and she feels better soon. :)

Last edited:
Liz, am sure you've thought of this already, but is it syringe food that is falling out of her mouth or food she is eating herself? The first happened with us and we discovered it was partly personality, which i'm sure doesn't apply to Lola, but also partly dehydration contributing to an unwillingness to eat, oral fluids really improved this significantly. The latter makes me wonder if perhaps she has some nerve damage from a stroke perhaps? Nerve supply to face, mouth or tongue? Probably way off the mark here - just with her history, if cardiovascular history also then thinking sort of mini TIA? Grasping at straws sorry :oops:
I expect something soft tissue mouth related is far more likely. Hope her tests go well and she feels better soon. :)

Its normal food thats falling, but not all of it. She is eating enough to get by so haven't need to syringe feed her. She is pooing OK but obviously slightly smaller that usual.

Her medical history, is neurological damage and spinal damage with hind leg weakness. Also a permanently hard bloated abdomen which was very gurgly, but daily zantac stopped the gurgling. She is also on daily pain relief for her spine.

Its normal food thats falling, but not all of it. She is eating enough to get by so haven't need to syringe feed her. She is pooing OK but obviously slightly smaller that usual.

Her medical history, is neurological damage and spinal damage with hind leg weakness. Also a permanently hard bloated abdomen which was very gurgly, but daily zantac stopped the gurgling. She is also on daily pain relief for her spine.

Oh dear poor Lola she is a very poorly bunny isn't she :cry:

Perhaps there is both upper and lower CNS damage affecting sensory supply to her face/mouth causing food to fall out, and lower down with neuro gut innervation causing a slow down and consequent associated bloat? Perhaps the zantac kept things moving?
Poor little girl. Sending her some get well vibes and nose rubs x

Not wanting to worry you, but we had a goat who constantly bloated and had to be given oil twice daily to deflate her. She became very thin as we searched for an answer, and blood tests showed nothing. Because of the size of the rumen and her bloat an x-ray or ultrasound would have shown very little. After hours of trawlling the internet for a hint, I thought I'd found the answer- a trichobezoar. I persuaded the vets to operate and they found a tumour at the neck of her rumen, which was also pressing on the vaso-vagus nerve- causing similar symptoms to chronic grass sickness in horses. She had to be PTS on the operating table as there was nothing that could be done.
I hope it isn't something like this, but may be helpful.

thanks for the info.

Don't worry I am preparing myself for the worst, she really isn't a well girl :( I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is some kind of tumour. I was surprised when one didn't show up on the x-rays.

We've had to let her go :cry::cry::cry:

She had multiple growths on her liver and a huge tumour in her stomach. I am so surprised that it didn't show up in the previous x-ray but the vet looked at the old ones again today and said it was impossible to see. They only saw it today as they gave her some oral barium first :(

Hopefully she didn't suffer too much over tha past months as she was already on high pain relief for her spinal damage :(

Lola is now reunited with her sister Lottie, and we have a very lonely Larry to look after :cry::cry:

Oh no! Not another one. I'm so sorry. Sounds like you did everything possible for her but it was just her time to go.

so sorry, but at least you know there was nothing more you could do, and made the hardest, but kindest decision.

I'm truly very sorry to hear this. Thinking of you, & hoping you find the strength & courage to continue the wonderful work you do for the elderly, ill bunnies.
RIP much loved little Lola.

Back