PDA

View Full Version : Lola is a very poorly girl/we had to let her go/ Now have PM results

Hugo's There
01-09-2009, 09:49 AM
:(

Lola has had chronic health problems for the whole time we have had her (1 year) but since Friday night she has slowly been deteriorating. She saw the vet Saturday morning who booked her in for tests today.

She is having an ultrasound done and they were hoping to do an endoscopy but theirs isn't small enough to pass through a rabbit. X-rays a couple of months ago revealed nothing abnormal.

If nothing shows up on the Ultrasound they are thinking of giving her a GA to double check her teeth as food is falling from her mouth even though she is eating enough to get by.

We are all really confused as we don't know where the problem lies, there is obviously something wrong with her stomach but nothing has showed up so far, her teeth look OK consciously but she isn't eating normally, she has been very cold and pale the last few days so I am wondering if she has problems with her heart :?

I really hope we can get some answers today and we can make our little girl feel better again

Lucy
01-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Sending loads of vibes to Lola :love:

biscuitblossom
01-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Sending vibes....hope the tests show something so you know what you're dealing with.x

prettylupin
01-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Liz, am sure you've thought of this already, but is it syringe food that is falling out of her mouth or food she is eating herself? The first happened with us and we discovered it was partly personality, which i'm sure doesn't apply to Lola, but also partly dehydration contributing to an unwillingness to eat, oral fluids really improved this significantly. The latter makes me wonder if perhaps she has some nerve damage from a stroke perhaps? Nerve supply to face, mouth or tongue? Probably way off the mark here - just with her history, if cardiovascular history also then thinking sort of mini TIA? Grasping at straws sorry :oops:
I expect something soft tissue mouth related is far more likely. Hope her tests go well and she feels better soon. :)

giantbunnymummy
01-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Loads of good luck vibes for Lola at the vets today. I hope you find some answers.

Hugo's There
01-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Liz, am sure you've thought of this already, but is it syringe food that is falling out of her mouth or food she is eating herself? The first happened with us and we discovered it was partly personality, which i'm sure doesn't apply to Lola, but also partly dehydration contributing to an unwillingness to eat, oral fluids really improved this significantly. The latter makes me wonder if perhaps she has some nerve damage from a stroke perhaps? Nerve supply to face, mouth or tongue? Probably way off the mark here - just with her history, if cardiovascular history also then thinking sort of mini TIA? Grasping at straws sorry :oops:
I expect something soft tissue mouth related is far more likely. Hope her tests go well and she feels better soon. :)

Its normal food thats falling, but not all of it. She is eating enough to get by so haven't need to syringe feed her. She is pooing OK but obviously slightly smaller that usual.

Her medical history, is neurological damage and spinal damage with hind leg weakness. Also a permanently hard bloated abdomen which was very gurgly, but daily zantac stopped the gurgling. She is also on daily pain relief for her spine.

Michelleox
01-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Come on lola, get better for mummy

prettylupin
01-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Its normal food thats falling, but not all of it. She is eating enough to get by so haven't need to syringe feed her. She is pooing OK but obviously slightly smaller that usual.

Her medical history, is neurological damage and spinal damage with hind leg weakness. Also a permanently hard bloated abdomen which was very gurgly, but daily zantac stopped the gurgling. She is also on daily pain relief for her spine.

Oh dear poor Lola she is a very poorly bunny isn't she :cry:

Perhaps there is both upper and lower CNS damage affecting sensory supply to her face/mouth causing food to fall out, and lower down with neuro gut innervation causing a slow down and consequent associated bloat? Perhaps the zantac kept things moving?
Poor little girl. Sending her some get well vibes and nose rubs x

halfpenny
01-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Not wanting to worry you, but we had a goat who constantly bloated and had to be given oil twice daily to deflate her. She became very thin as we searched for an answer, and blood tests showed nothing. Because of the size of the rumen and her bloat an x-ray or ultrasound would have shown very little. After hours of trawlling the internet for a hint, I thought I'd found the answer- a trichobezoar. I persuaded the vets to operate and they found a tumour at the neck of her rumen, which was also pressing on the vaso-vagus nerve- causing similar symptoms to chronic grass sickness in horses. She had to be PTS on the operating table as there was nothing that could be done.
I hope it isn't something like this, but may be helpful.

Hugo's There
01-09-2009, 11:34 AM
thanks for the info.

Don't worry I am preparing myself for the worst, she really isn't a well girl :( I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is some kind of tumour. I was surprised when one didn't show up on the x-rays.

Hugo's There
01-09-2009, 01:01 PM
We've had to let her go :cry::cry::cry:

She had multiple growths on her liver and a huge tumour in her stomach. I am so surprised that it didn't show up in the previous x-ray but the vet looked at the old ones again today and said it was impossible to see. They only saw it today as they gave her some oral barium first :(

Hopefully she didn't suffer too much over tha past months as she was already on high pain relief for her spinal damage :(

Lola is now reunited with her sister Lottie, and we have a very lonely Larry to look after :cry::cry:

Rhian33
01-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Oh no! Not another one. I'm so sorry. Sounds like you did everything possible for her but it was just her time to go.

biscandmatt1
01-09-2009, 01:04 PM
:cry: so sorry. rest in peace lola x

Sky-O
01-09-2009, 01:05 PM
I'm sorry Liz.

Binky Free Lola.

Hugo's There
01-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Oh no! Not another one. I'm so sorry. Sounds like you did everything possible for her but it was just her time to go.

We have now lost 12 in 3 months :cry::cry:

Ted an Petal
01-09-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss liz. really sounded like she was really ill. RIP Lola :cry:

*lily*
01-09-2009, 01:09 PM
So very sorry for your sad loss :(

Sleep tight little Lola.

angeleyes
01-09-2009, 01:10 PM
So sorry Liz, binky free Lola xxx

halfpenny
01-09-2009, 01:12 PM
so sorry, but at least you know there was nothing more you could do, and made the hardest, but kindest decision.

thumps_
01-09-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm truly very sorry to hear this. Thinking of you, & hoping you find the strength & courage to continue the wonderful work you do for the elderly, ill bunnies.
RIP much loved little Lola.

prettylupin
01-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Oh dear poor Lola :cry: I'm sure all that pain relief would have kept her comfortable whilst she was with you. You did everything you could for her. I'm so sorry for your sad loss today :cry:

honeybunny
01-09-2009, 01:39 PM
So sorry Liz :cry:

NLENG2000
01-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Oh Liz, I am so sorry. Binky free little lola xxx

Michelleox
01-09-2009, 01:59 PM
So sorry Liz. Poor Lola:(

capel
01-09-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm so sorry Liz. Thinking of you.

Phoebesmummy9
01-09-2009, 02:08 PM
So sorry for your loss liz, Binky Free Lola xxxx

The Duchess
01-09-2009, 02:12 PM
How very sad.

Sorry Liz.

Binky free Lola. Sunshine, fun and frolics again at the rainbow bridge. x

crackerz
01-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Binky Free Lola. I am sorry for your loss Liz.

giantbunnymummy
01-09-2009, 03:45 PM
I'm so sorry Liz :cry:

biscuitblossom
01-09-2009, 04:22 PM
What can I say other than I'm so sorry....your dedication is amazing Liz.x

Bunnyaddict
01-09-2009, 04:27 PM
I am so, so sorry Liz :cry: I don't know what else to say other than you & Steve are in my thoughts.

Binky free Lola, go find Lottie at the bridge xxx

Jack's-Jane
01-09-2009, 04:33 PM
:cry: :cry:

Sleep tight Lola

xx

lunar6769
01-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Sorry to hear about Lola :(

bunnymadhouse
01-09-2009, 05:50 PM
oh no ... im so very sorry ... :(

Hugo's There
01-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Thank you everyone :cry:

I put Larry in the garden this afternoon and the first thing he did was look in the tunnels for Lola :cry:

We have so many single bunnies at the moment due to all our losses :( I just work out who I am going to bond with who and then we loose another and it all has to change :cry:

sidereus7
01-09-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm so sorry, Liz. :cry:

Binky free, little Lola. xxx

Hugo's There
02-09-2009, 10:18 AM
We have had the PM results back and they were not exactly what we thought they would be.

There was no tumour in her stomach, although it was distended and the stomach wall was abnormally thickened.

The problem lay with her liver, it was in such a terrible state the vet was completely shocked by it. I don't know how poor Lola was still alive. I was extremely enlarged and a very strange colour, when the vet tapped it with her finger it actually disintergrated :shock::( The vet has never seen anything like it before.

Our poor girl :cry::cry:

The vet was so interested in Lola's case that she did the pm for free for us

Lucy
02-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Thats shocking. Do you have any clues as to what caused the liver to be in that state? Or are they putting it down to age?

Hugo's There
02-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Thats shocking. Do you have any clues as to what caused the liver to be in that state? Or are they putting it down to age?

Sorry Lucy I don't know at the moment, I didn't speak to the vet myself Steve happened to see her when he took one of the cats to the arthritis clinic this morning. I will definately ask when I next see her. I can't imagine it was age related if her age was correct as she was only 5 years :? And if that was normal for an elderly bun the vet wouldn't have been so shocked about it, so it was something very abnormal :?

Sky-O
02-09-2009, 10:28 AM
How very odd :|

She was one strong bunny then, to have such an abnormal problem and still be fighting through it. What a feisty girlie she was.

holidayhutch
02-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Oh bless her little bunny paws, I am so sorry Liz :( It is so hard to lose a loved family member, it does sound like in Lolas case her it was sadly her time to go to the bridge. Binky free Lola :(

Hugo's There
02-09-2009, 01:31 PM

I have popped in to the vets and had a quick chat this lunchtime :) Her liver was riddled with tumours all about 1cm and 2 cm in size, so I guess there was so many there was nothing to hold the liver together :cry::cry: Her stomach was distended and thickened as it had motility issues ie it wasn't emptying properly, which we assume is related to the liver problems :? At least I know why the zantac helped her so much and why nothing showed up on her stomach x-ray 2 months ago. I feel better knowing that even if we had known earlier on what was going on with Lola we probably wouldn't have been able to treat her any differently to what we were already doing. So hopefully she was as comfortable as we could make her during her final months.

Lucy
02-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Thats good to know. It must have been old age issues then really. Thank you once again for enabling her to have a year of happiness and kindness she'd never known before.

Jack's-Jane
02-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Poor Bun :cry:

If she was not spayed or was spayed just before you adopted her (and was found to have had UC and some malignant cells had already spread) then it may have been Uterine adenocarcinoma. Whilst UC usually metastasises to the lungs it can also effect the liver. I had a 4 year old Ex-breeding Doe spayed ; her Uterus was grossly abnormal. 11 months later she died of 'secondaries' on her lungs and liver :cry:

Hugo's There
02-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Poor Bun :cry:

If she was not spayed or was spayed just before you adopted her (and was found to have had UC and some malignant cells had already spread) then it may have been Uterine adenocarcinoma. Whilst UC usually metastasises to the lungs it can also effect the liver. I had a 4 year old Ex-breeding Doe spayed ; her Uterus was grossly abnormal. 11 months later she died of 'secondaries' on her lungs and liver :cry:

She was spayed a few months before she arrived here. However Lottie also died of tumours behind her eyes so it is possible that, as sisters, they had a genetic predisposition to cancer :? Not sure if retrobulbar tumours can be caused by the spread of uterine adenocarcinoma :?

Hugo's There
02-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Thank you once again for enabling her to have a year of happiness and kindness she'd never known before.

It was a pleasure, she was a lovely bunny :love::love: