• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dose my rabbit need a friend???

Hi everybody,

i've got a 2 year old lionhead rabbit, he gets alot of attention of us, hes very quiet and reserved!!! Not like my old rabbit who was very active!!!

Do you think he needs a friend??

Any advice welcome
Thanks
Debbie

If you can provide for another rabbit then yes definitely rabbits love company of their own kind. It would be a good idea to take your bunny to a rescue to find him a mate he likes, he would need to be neutered of course.:D

Yes definatly, I always say to people as an example "how would you feel if your loved and well cared for by apes or monkeys but never had interaction with another human?" you would prefer some human company and bunnys love company from their own kind too.

We bonded our neutered one year old quiet lion-head-X rabbit with a bit of a dippy lop mixed with not sure (!) baby - 11 weeks old at the time.
They get on extremely well - he has found his inner child and she has calmed down a lot :lol:
Also it is funny how they copy each other in case they might be missing out - he now eats hay like it is going out of fashion as she is a great hay eater - and he has taught her how to sit nicely on my knee :lol:

I would say once you have seen 2 bunnies interacting together, you will never want to go back to having a single bun :) There is something quite special about watching bunny relationships & nothing better than seeing bunny friends snuggled up & grooming each other :love:

Some rescues can even help with bonding etc, but you need to make sure your little man is neutered first, if he's not done already :)

ive always said, once you see a rabbit with company you never want a single bunny again! mine love their friends, theyre so close. We recently had to have on eof our bunnies pts after a long battle with an abcess and the change in his friend was huge. she didnt have any interest in anything, very bored, very lonely, so now shes in a group of three and today she was tearing around the run again it makes a huge difference.

They are much happier! Most rescues would bond them fo ryou so you wouldnt have to worry and do it yourself. you would have to get your bunny neutured and this also calms out their behaviour. Then go to a rescue and pick a single girly and see if he likes her!

theres lots of rescues on here so im sure someone can help :)

i have no advice to offer but i'm glad i read this thread. eric has so much human company and is such a happy little boy but reading the responses on here, i'm thinking how lovely it would be to see him with a little bunny friend:)

Thanks everybody for your help, going to ring the vet today to ask about neuteriing him.

Thanks again I'll keep everyone posted!!!
Debbie

Back