• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Destructive Lion-head

Rox

Young Bun
Hi, I've got a female, neutered lion-head rabbit who is 10 months old. We got her from the pet store when she was about 8 weeks old and was petrified of people. She is fine with us now and although she still doesn't like to be held she will come and nudge us with her nose when she wants some attention. Our problem is that while we thought we could have her as a house bunny and give her the run of the house she is very destructive. Nothing is safe from her when she is about and she seems to want to eat anything! I'm not sure whether she is bored so I try to give her treats and things to play with but she still chews and digs. I'm hoping she will grow out of this behaviour as she still is young (is this likley to happen?) but wonder whether a friend for her may help and if so how to go about it? Any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks

Hi, yes she was spayed this summer. She used to circle our feet a lot and nibble and claw at our feet playfully and this stopped but sadly the furniture and carpet ripping is the same. Is this normal behaviour for a lion head or do you think she will grow out of it? Thanks for reply!

Is this normal behaviour for a lion head or do you think she will grow out of it? Thanks for reply!

Its safe to say this is normal behaviour of indoor rabbits, not just young lion heads. I think your best plan would be to limit damage, I think there are quite a few people on here who have had similar problems, and found solutions in diverting their attention from destruction behaviour and protecting things like wires

i know, such a shame as i'd like her to have more attention than she does as at the moment we have to spend time with her in what has become 'her room'! If she had a free run, she would have more company and I wondered if she would eventually grow out of wrecking things but sadly doesn't look like it will happen. Will be impossible to bunny proof the whole house so will have to carry on as we are it looks! A rabbit I had when I was younger never bit a thing but was a male albino netherland dwarf so not really comparable. Thanks for the advice!

I don't think destructive tendencies are at all affected by age, breed or sex - it's just a personality thing.

I have found though that my buns were more destructive when alone that when living with a rabbit companion so it's possible that pairing your bun with another might distract her a little from her mission of destruction. Don't regard it as a magic fix though as you could easily end up with two naughty bunnies instead of one. ;)

Hmm, that's true..could have double the destruction. Any tips on what would be the best sort of company for her? From reading what others have posted, a guinea pig is a no-no?

My simba is a lionhead and has always enjoyed nibbling things he shouldnt eat! :roll: He now has 2 girlies to keep him busy and is now 6yrs old but still insists on making the edges of lino in their room a unique shape! :roll: Luckily my two girlie lionheads are good as gold! :D Can't you just bunny proof the area you let her have free range of? I have all my wires in his reach protected and no shoes around for him to nibble on. He likes to throw balls/toys/sticks about too

Yes, we could bunny proof a bit better I suppose. Maybe a friend will be kinder too. Do your bunnies share a room or have seperate cages? Would be nice to see her with company of her own kind as long as they got on!

My Boris is part Lionhead and he's always been a little monkey :lol:
He has,however,grown out of it now..well perhaps not entirely,he still has the occasional nibble on the wallpaper but he's not nearly as bad as he used to be!

Well thats good news then! I'm hoping she is being a naughty teen and will chill out soon for her to spend more time with us without constant supervision. She can be hard work!

I know what you mean..I also have a 4-month-old,extremely hormonal doe and she can be quite a handful! I won't even attempt to let her free range anytime soon though,she's the naughtiest wee bunny I've ever met! :shock: She'll eat just about anything!
As for keeping two bunnies together..well you will need to bond them. There are quite a few threads on bonding on here I believe,surely someone will be able to help you out :D Once bonded they shouldn't be seperated,so you'd obviously have to keep them in the same room,not in seperate cages.

Hmm, that's true..could have double the destruction. Any tips on what would be the best sort of company for her? From reading what others have posted, a guinea pig is a no-no?

That's right, a rabbit is the best companion for another rabbit.

The best pairing is one male and one female, both of whom should be neutered.

They will live in the same cage but you can't just fling them together, as such - you have to introduce them gradually and monitor them to check theyre getting along, this is known as bonding - if you get a new bun from a rescue, the staff there will usually do the bonding for you to save you the stress. :)

Extra bunny proofing is always good too, especially for cables! If you search the forums there should be some threads with ideas for bunny proofing your house :)

Brilliant, thanks cluttery drawer and oompa loompa! Maisy is a devil, nothing is sacred but she is loveable! Will have to ring the rescue centre and work on partner to give up dining room for a bunny room! I'd like to see her with company and good to know that a buck is best for her. ;)

Back