• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help, Honey's not right

Hi, can anyone help, our bunnie, Honey's just not her normal self, she's quiet, and not really eaten, not sure if she's been drinking as she lives with her best friend Pumpkin. She's only 7 months old, and just been sitting quietly for the afternoon, normally a very friendly rabbit. Many thanks :cry:

If she's not eating and pooing she needs to see a vet urgently, unfortunately rabbits hide their illness and can go downhill very quickly, their guts slow down and they go into stasis which is life threatening.
Can you tempt her with some dandelions or herbs to see if she's eating.

Forgot to ask is she sitting hunched up or grinding her teeth this would indicate she is in pain, when rabbits normally stop eating it's because they are in pain.

Last edited:
Yes agreed. If you can not tempt her then she needs to see a vet now - tonight for a thorough examination and pain relief and probably some sub-cut fluids as it has been a warm day and if they're not eating, they're not drinking. Good luck

I have just tried to temp her with some parsley and she's eating that, but she is grinding her teeth. Her ears are also cold?? Thank you

She sounds in a lot of pain, such as maybe with gas. I do think you need to get her checked out tonight. I would suggest giving her a snugglesafe, or a ricesock or something to help her stay warm, have her inside-if she is outside in the meantime.

I would definately phone the vets and ask for advice, if she's grinding her teeth she is probably in pain and will need some pain relief, is she pooing, if not, she might also need gut stimulant.
I would also bring her indoors to monitor her, poorly buns cannot maintain their body heat.

She's inside with us at the moment, and since eating the parsley, and now a little mint, she does seem a bit more lively in herself, hopping about now! She is also feeling warmer!

if we keep her inside over night would it be best to bring Pumpkin in with her?? They are normally together all the time, and are bonded, they share a hutch?

Yes, if they are happily bonded keep them together. The stress of separating them could make Honey worse.

Are you going to call the vet?

Do you know what's caused this?

No, I have no idea why she is like this, but she seems to be eating more now, and is moving alot more, but we will phone the vet to be on the safe side, it's not worth the risk, we (adults) love them loads, but our three daughters think of them as best friends and none of us could cope with anything other than a happy outcome! thank you for all the advice

Have you introduced anything new to her diet? Has anything changed in her world recently.

I think the vet should check her even if they deem it not an emergency tonight, to rule out other issues that could cause this problem.

Good luck calling the vet, please let us know what they say.

No changes in her world, but I have been giving them bread, Wholemeal, a slice a day but only for a few days (3) This is the only thing I can think of thats changed!? Have spoke to the vet, who didn't think it was an emergency, but I will take her into them tomorrow, regardless of what they think on the phone. We are keeping them both in tonight and she does seem to be eating (normal food aswell now) and drinking, which are good signs. Thank you all so much for the advice x

Stop the bread. That is not suitable for the buns at all, especially in that large amount.

Is she pooing?

She probably needs a lot of hydration. If they normally have a bottle, give them a bowel.

Definately stop the bread, I would think that has caused the problem, please take them both to the vets tomorrow to make sure there are no blockages.

Like with children, they often like things that are not healthy for them. I have buns who, given half a chance, will steal chocolate, or chips off my plate, even meat, pizza, etc, even though none of them are ideal.

It can be ok in a really tiny amount (not healthy, but tolerable for some buns), but not in a huge amount, and it sounds like it is not ideal for Honey on any level. Someone might correct me here (hopefully- if I'm wrong), but I believe it has too many carbs in.

I hope she does ok through the night. Please keep us updated :) and let us know how she gets on at the vet.

Yes bread being cereal based is very high in carbohydrates and if fed in large quantities can result in an acute caecal dysbiosis (upset of caecal flora in the gut), especially in a rabbit not used to such high levels of carbohydrate. It depends on what the colony of bacteria in her caecum are used to, this is how some buns tolerate it better than others. This applies to any change in food. I too would avoid feeding any human foods to rabbits....they are strict herbivores and as such require a high fibre low carb/protein/fat diet.

There is no guarantee that this caused her to get ill - it is impossible to tell, you might never know what has caused this. But be aware that any caecal dysbiois has the potential to affect gut motility. If gut motilitly slows enough and ileus or stasis ensues then a bun can deteriorate very quickly, especially if associated with a bloated abdomen.

As she is eating and comfortable then she might be ok til the morning. If she continues to grind her teeth then I would be inclined to use an emergency vet in the night - she really will need pain relief if this is the case, and fluids would be a good idea too. However, hopefully if you can encourage her to eat throughout the night and keep her warm and drinking - if she is used to any particular fresh herbs/veg then I would offer them freshly washed and wet for added hydration, she will be ok til the morning. Good luck with the vet and hope she feels better soon. :)

Honey's fine this morning! Eating her normal dried food and some herbs, and drinking, thank you for all the advice and the water bowl seems to really make a difference. She is pooing and weeing to so all looking good, and even grooming Pumpkin again. Although I am sitll keeping a close eye on her and have her booked in at vets for later.

Back