• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sprained Front Paw

sidereus7

Mama Doe
As some of you know, I took Eddison to the emergency vet last night for a hurt front paw.

I told her that he was picking up the paw, and seemed to be shifting weight off of it. Today, he has been grinding his teeth, despite have 0.4ml of Metacam about 12 hours ago. (I insisted on pain relief, but she thought I was nuts. :roll:)

My question is... she didn't take any x-rays, but simply observed him walking on it and palpated the area to feel for a break. Should she have taken an x-ray? If it's broken, how would I know?

I think x-rays are sensible when it sounds like your bun is in so much discomfort. Could you take your bun back and get some done? Also maybe get some stronger painkillers?

Last edited:
Ozzy hurt his leg, we tried him two days to see if it improved and then took him back for an xray :) In the end there was nothing wrong and a week on metacam and cage rest saw him back to full strength. Very glad I had the xray though for peace of mind after one vet nurse palpated our other bun Elsa and failed to notice a dislocated hip without an xray :wave: Good luck with Eddison x

I would have thought it would be easy to miss a hairline fracture or similar. I think xrays are a sensible idea if it is still so painful xx

Back