• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giant Papillon?

hollyd123

Warren Scout
Hi,

I was on the internet looking for something for my bunny when I saw a picture of a gorgeous black and white (english spot markings) but it said it was a 'Giant Papillon Rabbit'. I don't think I've heard of these before, can anyone point me to a good site to get more information on these? Mainly how big they are fully grown? Likelyhood of finding a rescue one etc?

Many thanks!

I think the Giant Papillon is quite a rare breed. In America it is called the Checkered Giant.

Here is a page on it ...
http://centralpets.com/animals/mammals/rabbits/rbt1462.html

The Rhinelander (Also a giant) is similar in size and markings, but the spots are made up of two colours (Like a tri-english). The Rhinelander is also quite rare, but I did see one at Pets at Home a few months ago :?

Also - http://www.freewebs.com/giantpapillonrabbits/breedinformation.htm

I think they are roughly the same size as British Giants. They both have the same ring size too.

I doubt you would find many in rescues, as they are a rare breed. I have seen a few at shows, and they are lovely though.

They come in a variety of colours. And like I said before, you can get a kind of tri-coloured Giant Papillon, called the Rhinelander.

Last edited:
I know someone who got a giant papillion from the adoption part at P At H. She's a beautiful girl. I'd love one of these. Good luck tracking one down.

yep, Racheal, Noisette is a giant papillon! She's a yellow giant papillon, and my unbiased opinion, she is the most beautiful rabbit around ;).

They are usually 5-8kgs when fully grown, and take 2 years to fully mature. They are the slowest to mature of the giant rabbit breeds. They come in all colours... black, yellow, steel, chinchilla etc etc. But, they also come in self too, my Oscar is a self yellow papillon.

I scanned in some info for someone else on Happy Hoppers Forum, but i'll dig it out on my photobucket and post it here!

ooooh, I have a rare breed of rabbit, do I? coool!

yep, Racheal, Noisette is a giant papillon! She's a yellow giant papillon, and my unbiased opinion, she is the most beautiful rabbit around ;).

They are usually 5-8kgs when fully grown, and take 2 years to fully mature. They are the slowest to mature of the giant rabbit breeds. They come in all colours... black, yellow, steel, chinchilla etc etc. But, they also come in self too, my Oscar is a self yellow papillon.

I scanned in some info for someone else on Happy Hoppers Forum, but i'll dig it out on my photobucket and post it here!

ooooh, I have a rare breed of rabbit, do I? coool!

I wonder why they take the longest to mature, as they're not the biggest of all the giant breeds

here it is... its an excellent read. I love this book, it goes into so much detail about the bunny breeds. Sorry its so big :oops:

papillion1.jpg

papillion2.jpg

papillion3.jpg

papillion5.jpg

Thank you sooooooooooooo much for all the info, I've not read it all through yet will sit and read it properly later when I've got time to digest it all! They are stunning bunnies. :love: Noisette is soooooo :love::love::love:

There is someone who is the Administrator of another forum (Golden Bunnies?) and she has a black and white Giant Papillon. I can't remember her name of the bun's.

Giant Papillion and French Lop Mummy

Hi all!
I'm new to the forum and a fairly new Big Bunny mummy! One of my bunnies is a giant papillion in white with dark steel grey markings. Her name is Elvee and I got her last December from Pets at Home at 16 weeks old. (She was 1 years old last Thursday!) she lives in the daytime in our garage (converted to a large utility room) with her beautiful sister Maddie (a timid and lazy French Lop). Our Girls!

In my experience, one thing to bear in mind if deciding on a giant bunny like a giant papillon is that they need a lot of space to run about when they really get going. I knew this would so when I met Elvee, but we have a large open plan living/dining/kitchen area plus our lounge, bathroom, stairs and landing (bedrooms not yet bunny-proofed) When those legs need a run about; you better have the space to accommodate it, otherwise I would recommend a less lively giant or a large/medium rabbit instead. Takes quite a bit of space for Elvee just to be able to do a single 'blinky' (think that's what the high kick and wiggle is called). She is so nosey that we can never leave a cupboard door or the washing machine open - everything must be investigated. She does sleep most of the day which is great for working hours. She's more livley in the morning & really lively most evenings.

Maddie is about 2/3rds of Elvee's size and is quiet, loving (when you go to her) but very 'jumpy' (we got her in March as a companion to Elvee when we realised Elvee was bored as the only rabbit in the house!) I think the contrast with the 2 breeds is working well as 2 x Elvee would be really hard work in terms of space and monitoring although we have our work cut out in trying to bring Maddie out of her shell. At least Maddie and Elvee bonded very quickly - they lay together to sleep and groom, though Elvee is definately the dominate one.

My biggest surprise from the forum was to read that Elvee will not be full grown until 2 years old and she is already about 8kgs! I had read that 1 year was the time frame to full growth?

Would love to hear about giant papillion and french lop tales!

Hi all!
I'm new to the forum and a fairly new Big Bunny mummy! One of my bunnies is a giant papillion in white with dark steel grey markings. Her name is Elvee and I got her last December from Pets at Home at 16 weeks old. (She was 1 years old last Thursday!) she lives in the daytime in our garage (converted to a large utility room) with her beautiful sister Maddie (a timid and lazy French Lop). Our Girls!

In my experience, one thing to bear in mind if deciding on a giant bunny like a giant papillon is that they need a lot of space to run about when they really get going. I knew this would so when I met Elvee, but we have a large open plan living/dining/kitchen area plus our lounge, bathroom, stairs and landing (bedrooms not yet bunny-proofed) When those legs need a run about; you better have the space to accommodate it, otherwise I would recommend a less lively giant or a large/medium rabbit instead. Takes quite a bit of space for Elvee just to be able to do a single 'blinky' (think that's what the high kick and wiggle is called). She is so nosey that we can never leave a cupboard door or the washing machine open - everything must be investigated. She does sleep most of the day which is great for working hours. She's more livley in the morning & really lively most evenings.

Maddie is about 2/3rds of Elvee's size and is quiet, loving (when you go to her) but very 'jumpy' (we got her in March as a companion to Elvee when we realised Elvee was bored as the only rabbit in the house!) I think the contrast with the 2 breeds is working well as 2 x Elvee would be really hard work in terms of space and monitoring although we have our work cut out in trying to bring Maddie out of her shell. At least Maddie and Elvee bonded very quickly - they lay together to sleep and groom, though Elvee is definately the dominate one.

My biggest surprise from the forum was to read that Elvee will not be full grown until 2 years old and she is already about 8kgs! I had read that 1 year was the time frame to full growth?

Would love to hear about giant papillion and french lop tales!

I know the big buns are beautiful, but why pets at home?
Not only do most of them come from bad breeders, but they cost about £120 un-neutered and un-vaccinated :shock:

If you went to a decent breeder you could get one for a lot less, and if one poppped up at a rescue your likely to get him/her for £50 neutered AND vaccinated :lol:

Suppose it does stop impulse buying though

I'd seen a few other buns but when I saw her sitting there I just fell for her and knew I wanted to get her out of that store. Maddie was from a rescue centre. She had been stuck in a hutch along with 6 other Lops from a supposed breeder of Lops. she didn't know how to hop at first and is still shy and nervous. Not all breeders are good breeders whether the animal ends up in a store or a rescue centre.

Don't suppose you have piccies? :)
There's another thread, on rare breeds, could you post them on there :D

Back