• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excess cecals since Myxi jab?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Anyone else come across this?

Mid July all mine had their myxi, and since then two of them have constant excess cecals. For those two it was their fourth myxi vacc, and we do them six monthly.

I know Jane has had gut problems after myxi vaccs (although I don't know what), but just wondered about anyone else?

Hmmmm I havent, I was going to initially say perhaps the drug has somehow made them taste funny so they've left them but as its since July that makes that theory no good :? Sorry I'm not much help! x

That would have been a REALLY good theory and something I definitely never thought of. One to bear in mind though.

Wonder whether it's a combination of things - under the weather after the myxi, all the heat, perhaps summer moulting, etc. & it's tipped them into dysbiosis. Whereas they'd have been fine if only1 thing had happened.

I'm not sure it's dysbiosis, I always thought that was like runny cecals? Although I could have gotten it wrong.

After a month I would have expected to see some sort of positive change. Right now neither are moulting anymore, both acting normal, fine, happy, lively, etc, yet still random excess cecals. Can't get rid of them.

It's just that Thumper's colon slows down easily with many forms of stress, then with slow caecal emptying, he gets mild dysbiosis this slows the gut more with delayed caecal turnover etc. The caecs with dysbiosis definitely smell different even to me! & look normal in the early stages which can go on for months. It's always worse in summer & we usually need more than 1 factor, or several in short succession.

I suppose the symptoms of dysbiosis depend a lot on which bacteria are causing the problem.

Treatment is simple of hay only diet & probiotics. Reintroduce original diet very slowly & see results.

ETA The fundamental factor with us is tiny molar spurs - never had oral sores.

Last edited:
Back