• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Babies with blue eyes - u/d

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
Will they keep them, or is it common for bunnies born with blue eyes to change their eye colour as they grow up? Or does it vary?

Last edited:
Teddy had blue eyes as a kit, but he's black so was going to get brown eyes anyway...I think it depends on the colour of the bun...correct me if I'm wrong, but blue buns can have blue eyes, as can BEW...

Well rabbits at shows are faulted for having eyes that don't match their fur, so I think they must be able to have non-matching eyes, otherwise there would be no need to fault :?

Bother :lol:

I just met four blue eyed yellow dutch babies and their harlequin sibling, none of them bigger than my hand, and I was hoping they would keep them :lol: Time will tell though!

It's to do with the vienna gene. They shouldn't lose blue eyes if they have them. I have never come across a rabbit who had blue eyes, losing them (whatever colour their fur). My best mate breeds with the vienna gene and I also have another breeder friend who breeds BEWs, so I'm not just talking out of my ****, lol, this gene fascinates me and so we have talked a lot about it.

Bother :lol:

I just met four blue eyed yellow dutch babies and their harlequin sibling, none of them bigger than my hand, and I was hoping they would keep them :lol: Time will tell though!

Are you sure they are dutch, and not vienna marked?

What's vienna marked?

Their dad is definitely dutch, the kits vary though, they are "dutch like" but their markings arent perfect.

Can you post pics? A true dutch shouldn't throw in a harlequin (unless obviously its a harlequin dutch and I misunderstood).

The vienna marking is the BEW gene in play, but they only inherited one gene, not the pair that gives BEW.

My Badger is vienna marked and looks dutch, but he is a nethie.

20081225_8.jpg

Jerry is a vienna marked agouti http://www.geocities.com/summersvalleystud/netherlanddwarfs2.html

If you google 'vienna marked' on the images bit you'll a wider variety. The gene occurs in many breeds, lops, nethie, rex, etc, so can pop up in many places.

The dad *looks* dutch but I couldnt say whether he has anything else in him and I have no idea what the mum looks like - they were an accidental litter from someone's missexed pet shop buns.

I am gutted that I forgot my camera when I went round :(:lol: but i'll try and get some pics next week....their eyes arent *bright* blue like some I've seen, more of a grey-blue - they are stunners though :love:

I haven't heard of vienna markings before, is there a difference between a vienna marked bun and one that's a "dutch gone wrong"? and how would you tell?

Last edited:
They sound vienna marked to me and they should keep their eye colour. Badger's are blue/gray with a ruby glow.

I would presume the dad is not an actual dutch, but, like you say, looks like a dutch, and so is carrying and actively passing on the vienna gene.

Take some pics :D

My white bun, Roger, kept his blue eyes for nearly a year, then they suddenly turned brown at the same time as he started to show black eye lashes, a small smudge on his nose and bum.

I have another BEW on foster at the mo, Mr Blue, so I'll be interested to see if he keeps his blue eyes.

Do 'proper' Dutch buns originally come from a rabbit carrying the Vienna gene, or is it just coincidental that rabbits carrying the gene have dutch-type markings?

As far as I know they are completely unrelated and its a coincidence, but I can find out.

I would be interested in learning more about it if you have any informative links to hand :oops:

We have a lot of buns through the rescue who we refer to as "mis marked dutches" but I'm wondering now if they're vienna after all.

ETA Ive just remembered theres one in right now who looks like a nethie shape but with dutch markings...and HALF of one of his eyes is blue....the plot thickens!

Cool, I will have a look once I've shifted my NVQ work....oh wait.....browsing RU int the best way to do that is it :? :lol:

thankyou :wave:

my clover has blue eyes at the mo, she is a for want of a better way to put it is a mucky browny colour lol she is only 5 months so i dont no if she will keep them or not hopefully she will

Back