• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Our rabbit had babies

Jingyd

New Kit
I am not sure if this is the right section to post on.

My 4 month old rabbit Lilly had 4 babies yesterday, 3 still born and 1 alive that died 24 hours later. It was a huge shock as we had no idea she was even pregnant, our male was snipped 3 weeks ago, the vet told us he would not be able to have the snip any earlier and that it was unlikely he would be able to make any of the girls pregnant beforehand:roll:

Lilly seems fine, it has been very upseting seeing her go through this.

Is it likely that my other 2 females are pregnant?

yes it is very likely.

The male needed removing from the females as soon as you could see his testicles. It is also possible that the male is still fertile as males stay fertile for several weeks after the operation.

They stay fertile for 6 weeks so it is likely the other 2 are pregnant.
I cant beleive your vet told you that :?

my rabbit has just had a litter and she is 5 months she had 3 one did die but it was born a full day befor the others so not sure if that had anything to do with it but touch wood so far the others are fine :D so hopefully if you have anymore they shud be ok :D

Its actually very likely all the does are pregnant because they are most receptive immediately after giving birth.

All buns (bucks and does) need to be separated from each other to be on the safe side, but hopefully they can be rebonded back after all the ladies have been spayed.

The male has been snipped 3-4 weeks ago. We were told he could not be done before 4 months and that it was unlikely that he could get the 3 girls pregnant anyway.

Is it very likely that anytime now the other 2 females could be pregnant? Surely he couldn't have got Lilly pregnant again, he was snipped nearly 4 weeks ago, and we were told he would be infertile within 2 weeks of having it done.

We were not getting the females done jsut yet,the vet said to wait a month longer, and as our male has been done we were not that concerned about having the females done just yet.

We were not expecting any of this, it has been a very upseting few days.

The male has been snipped 3-4 weeks ago. We were told he could not be done before 4 months and that it was unlikely that he could get the 3 girls pregnant anyway.

Is it very likely that anytime now the other 2 females could be pregnant? Surely he couldn't have got Lilly pregnant again, he was snipped nearly 4 weeks ago, and we were told he would be infertile within 2 weeks of having it done.

We were not getting the females done jsut yet,the vet said to wait a month longer, and as our male has been done we were not that concerned about having the females done just yet.

We were not expecting any of this, it has been a very upseting few days.

Sadly the information you have been given seems to be incorrect. I believe that males can still have active sperm for up to 6 weeks following their snip.

*echoes The Duchess*

They can be fertile for 6-8 weeks after being neutered, so yes, they could all be pregnant, including the mum of this litter.

Oh gosh, I shall be having a word with our vet I think.

I hope they will all be ok, they are only between 4-5 months old:(

Please complain to your vet that their bad information has resulted in your female giving birth.

complain to the vet - who knows how many other people he/she is giving out wrong information to.

hope your rabbits will be ok.

Hpefully they will be fine, but they do all need to be separated now. Have you got ways to do that?

I agree about the vet issue. He needs to know he is handing out wrong information.

This is such a shame as you have done everything right but been given very amateur information. Not only would I be complaining, I would report them to the vet authority. Poor little lilly :)

I think I shall change my vet, I am not happy about this. All 3 girls are probably pregnant, and poor Lilly if she is again:(

I shall try to remove the male, but at the moment I don't have a spare hutch and I can't buy one at the moment either:oops:

It's not just a case of removing the male (although that is a start), the ladies could potentially fight as their hormones start to run rife.

Could you try looking on Freecycle? Maybe use areas like your bathroom? Get creative as best you can because for the health and welfare of your animals, and to minimise the risk of problems with birth.

Four rabbits are expensive, as are even more if they have kits. Maybe its worth surrendering a couple of a rescue?

I am near Chester.

We got hold of another hutch today.

We have 4 rabbits that we take excellent care of, it is just a shame this happened. We love them to bits, we would never ever send any away.

Well done for getting another hutch :) That's a good start, at least there will be no more pregnancies after these ones.

Are you also able to get another two to separate the rest of the girls?

This is definitely not your fault, but potentially can get very expensive (such as if emergency caesareans/spays are needed, or the kits get ill, or even just feeding three litters, etc), so whilst surrendering some may not be a viable option for you now-which is fine, remember that it is potentially an option if things get overwhelming for you with them.

You're doing great :)

Back