• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Domesticated wild buns

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
I was just wondering about how wild buns cope with being domesticated? Don't worry, I'm not planning to go out and catch one!:lol:

If baby wildies are handreared and then can't be released into the wild how do they differ from domesticated buns?

I am pretty sure that Posy is a wildie cross and she is much, much more active and atheletic than my other buns.

We have three young wildies where I volunteer, they were hand reared from about 4 weeks (I think)

They are WAY more hyper than other rabbits, constantly bolting up and down, jumping, flinging themselves at/over/off things, chewing the hutch, the wire and anythign else available, and wriggling like mad when you pick them up. They do like human contact but they're not co operative. :lol:

I know that all young buns have lots of energy btu these are in a totally different league :shock: I certainly wouldnt be able to cope with them as my own pets.

We have three young wildies where I volunteer, they were hand reared from about 4 weeks (I think)

They are WAY more hyper than other rabbits, constantly bolting up and down, jumping, flinging themselves at/over/off things, chewing the hutch, the wire and anythign else available, and wriggling like mad when you pick them up. They do like human contact but they're not co operative. :lol:

I know that all young buns have lots of energy btu these are in a totally different league :shock: I certainly wouldnt be able to cope with them as my own pets.

Sounds like Posy! Tonight when I went out to top up the hay she jumped 3 foot up onto me like a little dog might and bounced back down into the run!

Peter and Posy have loads of room, 80 sq foot in total and lots of things to jump on/off and tunnels to crawl through. She is always on the go!

Im sure Strawberry has some wildie in him somewhere. He never sits still, I very really see him flopped out, he will run round in circles for something to do, jumps ontop of chairs etc over and over again, can jump at least 3ft if not higher.

He has just jumped onto my dining table and singed his whiskers on a candle and is now wrestling with a bin bag!

3ft?! Bah! Nuffing! Ted jumps on top of the kitchen counters from standing...then flops on it! (I guess when you're that large you need a rest between hops)

3ft?! Bah! Nuffing! Ted jumps on top of the kitchen counters from standing...then flops on it! (I guess when you're that large you need a rest between hops)

Strawberry is quite small! He hasnt made in onto the kitchen counter yet but I wouldnt be suprised if he didnt make it soon!

Harley is a bit smaller than a frenchie.
He once jumped over a wooden board. It was higher than our kitchen units, and it wasnt something you could jump onto, he had to go straight over :lol:

He won't go over it on the harness though :roll: He only jumped it to escape out of the garage :lol:

I would say they are pretty much within the broad band of personalities you get with domestic rabbits. They are certainly more on the high energy end of the scale so need more physical and mental stimulation.

As for picking up that seems to very much depend on the individual, and probably the early experiences, as it does with domestic rabbits. For example, I find Scamp easier to pick up than Gypsy. Scamp will quite happily sit tucked under my arm, or even balanced on the palm of my hand if it means he can reach something he wants.

Scamp loves human attention and will flop over if you scratch his nose right, come when called, beg for treats etc.

Ditto what Tamsin said...My wildie is very tame and easier to catch than some of my other buns, but she never sits still and gets into everything, I can't take my eye off her for a second. Strangely enough, she's scared of going outdoors and gets really clingy if I put her in a run on the lawn.

Back