• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whoops. I got myself a new foster. But cuteness makes up for it.

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
So, yesterday I accidently found myself foster mum to the smallest, sweetest rabbit at the RSPCA centre.

I was down at the centre doing a bunny bonding date for the lovely Dumbo and the new staff member asked me if I had seen this baby, so I went over and had a nose (he was in quaratine). At best guess he is maybe 5-7 weeks, but that's quite unknown.

He was found by the side of the road, in a box, with his dead litter mate. It is presumed his litter mate was attacked, but by what, that's unknown. He arrived at the centre last Monday- 24th August.

The smallest bunny was just drowned in the enclosure, even though the enclosure was only teeny tiny.

I picked up the bun and had a look to see what gender he was (or what gender he was yesterday) and then held him. He snuggled right into my jacket. He's very people friendly and needs the comfort and company.

He had a lovely area with lots of shavings, a couple of litter trays, a bowl, a carry case and a towel. His limited food was scattered on the floor (they scatter feed at the RSPCA).

I went back and had a chat with the staff member and we agreed I would take him as a foster because I could give him more of what he needed.

We had a chat about what was best for him, i.e. the stress of moving vs making some adjustments to where he was.

It transpired he was on a diet of limited pellets, which is not ideal for a young bun, especially not a bunny this young who is growing. Also, because they were scatter feeding they were unsure as to how much he is eating. The staff were also coming in each morning to find him very cold, shivering and lethargic. We discussed ways to adjsust his diet and how, and also ways to keep him warm at night. I would guess that his limited food meant he couldn't keep his body temperature up, especially as he was used to being with litter mates, and also if he was possibly used to being in a shed.

We decided that whilst it would be stressful for him to move him again, it is what was in his best interest.

We debated some different names, and Mr Autumn seemed to be the favourite, so that's what we have gone with.

I brought Mr. Autumn home and set him up in a tiny hutch in the porch, so we could continue the quarantine. His hutch is only 4ft x 1ft but he has plenty of room.

I made him a nest from hay, and he had a food and water bowl, and a fleece to snuggle in.

I decided to go with a food bowl because he needs it to be as easy as possible and also as familiar as possible. I went out and bought the same pellets the centre were feeding, and also mixed in some regular oats (which he LOVES). I also gave him Timothy Hay with the regular hay.

When he arrived he started to eat pretty quickly, and was very perky, so whilst it was a stressful move, hopefully he did ok with it.

20090830_364.jpg

20090830_366.jpg

20090830_368.jpg

20090830_369.jpg

20090830_370.jpg

20090830_374.jpg

20090830_375.jpg

20090830_377.jpg

20090830_378.jpg

20090830_380.jpg

20090830_381.jpg

20090830_383.jpg

20090830_384.jpg

20090830_385.jpg

20090830_387.jpg

20090830_388.jpg

20090830_390.jpg

20090830_391.jpg

20090830_393.jpg

20090830_396.jpg

Hes absolutely gorgeous! :love::love: Well done for fostering him ;) I wonder if he'll be staying ;) xXx

Ha ha, I failed with the last three, but he can only stay if the gender fairy strikes (which is always a possibility).

He will eventually be going up for adoption with Martlesham RSPCA, provided he makes it. Want to get him properly vet checked this week with a vet I trust; his breathing looks a bit laboured when he is sleeping, but only when he sleeps. He also has a slightly damp nose. He doesn't act like he feels bad or anything though, he is very comfortable and perky. At least if anything does happen to him he is warm, fed, sheltered, not alone, cold, etc.

If he doesnt stay with you than Rimmi will be looking for a friend after his neuter.... :p

Ha ha, I failed with the last three, but he can only stay if the gender fairy strikes (which is always a possibility).

He will eventually be going up for adoption with Martlesham RSPCA, provided he makes it. Want to get him properly vet checked this week with a vet I trust; his breathing looks a bit laboured when he is sleeping, but only when he sleeps. He also has a slightly damp nose. He doesn't act like he feels bad or anything though, he is very comfortable and perky. At least if anything does happen to him he is warm, fed, sheltered, not alone, cold, etc.

Back