• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi I am new today.

Margret

Warren Scout
Today we went and rescued a rabbit. We reckon he/she is maybe around 6 months old, but from what we know, we are his/her 4th home.
He/she...sorry, but we have to visit the vet tomorrow to know gender, is a lionhead. He/she is so friendly.
I have had rabbits previously, usually rescues, but decided after last one died, no more, it was too upsetting. Here we are again...18 months down the line, with a new addition to the family, along with our two 6 year old rescued Guinea Pigs....I really am a soft touch. haha.
After vet visit tomorrow, we will need to decide on a name....any suggestions.
Look forward to using the forum for advice. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, where did you get your rescue rabbit from? I reckon its a female if its had so many homes already.

Someone asked my son=in=law if he knew anyone who would want a rabbit, so he phoned me. Why do you say its probably female....do most people prefer males

Females who haven't been neutered can be territorial and aggressive which is why someone would maybe pass her on to someone else.

Somehow I think its more case of the novelty has worn off. Good idea at the time...3 weeks later, not a good idea.
Anyway,he/she will be staying with us from now on.
I have a list of names as long as my arm, but its grandaughter making the final decision.

Good luck at the vets tomorrow. Be good to have her checked over by a vet anyway, your have to post some pics of him/her, do you know how old he/she is? If you look, ifs a boy, should have some noticable plums :lol:

Thanks. I want to get him/her checked over, also get vaccinations done.
Will let you know, gender and the decision on a name.
Look forward to using this forum.
Everyone seems so friendly.

Just Got back from the vet, little rescue has been confirmed as female. Vet reckons she is probably around 9 months. She weighs 2.3kg, been given clean bill of health. Has had her first vaccination, go back again in 2 weeks for second.
Seems to have settled in ok, now its just a case of finding out her likes and dislikes

I think we can help you with her likes and dislikes...

dislikes:
being good!

Hope that helps!!

Thanks Teddy's mum for your help regarding likes:lol: I am now going to have a look around the forum regarding some info on bedding for the hutch.
At the moment she is in woodshavings, but from what I have read, I would be better with something else.
I am sure Nala....yes, we have named her, would appreciate any help that would make her life so much better than what she has had.
Look forward to all these replies.

Ted, in his cage (which is always open) has a litter tray with carefresh bedding and hay in it. The carefresh soaks up urine and smells. I sometimes mix it with sawdust as it's only in the litter tray, but it can be very dusty and irritate their eyes, so not good in the whole cage. On the floor of his cage he had vet bedding. http://www.vagavalley.co.uk/bunnysupplies/beds.htm

Nala will need good quality hay and most the stuff in petshops just won't do. Meadow hay or timothy hay is the best...you can get it from the website above or from the dust free hay company. You might be able to find somewhere more local though!

Looking forwards to pictures! I forgot to add that another like of bunnies is looking pawsome!

All the rabbits here have litter trays and the hutch is lined with stick on tiles, lino so you can spray and wipe. Then they are layered with thich newspaper and hay as bedding (they love to eat this too)

Back