PDA

View Full Version : Newbie alert!!

spudsmummy
30-08-2009, 06:45 PM
hi there

i am going to look at some bunnies on tuesday. i was going to get just one bunny but i am now thinking its best to get 2. what is best m/m, f/f or m/f combo? is it ok to have litter mates as pairs?

Any advice for a newbie would be welcome.
thanks
Paula

devoted2buns
30-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Best advice is not to buy from a breeder or pet shop and go to a rescue. 2 is def better because rabbits can get loney on their own and it is nice for them to have a friend of the same species. A neutered male and female are the best pairs to have.

bunnymadhouse
30-08-2009, 07:06 PM
male / female pairs are best ...neutered of course ...if you are getting babies though be aware you will have to seperate once they get to the age where there is a risk of babies...then you would have to re bond once they were both neutered ..

female / female pairs can live together but would still need spaying or once they get hormonal; they may fight

male / male ..can sometimes live together ...BUT they must be neutered or horrific fights are likely .. even when neutered not all males will get on with other males .

why not look at rescues ...they will have pairs of rabbits already neutered anmd bonded ;)

DemiS
30-08-2009, 08:03 PM
It's better to get two rabbits, but if you do this you must make sure they are both neutered/spayed otherwise they WILL fight, no matter what the pet shop sais. I was told a long time ago that two males wouldn't fight if they were from the same litter, and that was a complete lie.

Also, why don't you try a rescue? Most rabbits there are allready neutered/spayed so you don't have to worry about that part. There are tens of thousands of rabbits all waiting for people like you to come and adopt them :)

Whatever you do, PLEASE don't go to a back-yard breeder or pet shop. Most just breed rabbits for profit, many in bad conditions, and what's the point when there are so many rabbits in rescues.