• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newbie alert!!

spudsmummy

Warren Scout
hi there

i am going to look at some bunnies on tuesday. i was going to get just one bunny but i am now thinking its best to get 2. what is best m/m, f/f or m/f combo? is it ok to have litter mates as pairs?

Any advice for a newbie would be welcome.
thanks
Paula

Best advice is not to buy from a breeder or pet shop and go to a rescue. 2 is def better because rabbits can get loney on their own and it is nice for them to have a friend of the same species. A neutered male and female are the best pairs to have.

male / female pairs are best ...neutered of course ...if you are getting babies though be aware you will have to seperate once they get to the age where there is a risk of babies...then you would have to re bond once they were both neutered ..

female / female pairs can live together but would still need spaying or once they get hormonal; they may fight

male / male ..can sometimes live together ...BUT they must be neutered or horrific fights are likely .. even when neutered not all males will get on with other males .

why not look at rescues ...they will have pairs of rabbits already neutered anmd bonded ;)

It's better to get two rabbits, but if you do this you must make sure they are both neutered/spayed otherwise they WILL fight, no matter what the pet shop sais. I was told a long time ago that two males wouldn't fight if they were from the same litter, and that was a complete lie.

Also, why don't you try a rescue? Most rabbits there are allready neutered/spayed so you don't have to worry about that part. There are tens of thousands of rabbits all waiting for people like you to come and adopt them :)

Whatever you do, PLEASE don't go to a back-yard breeder or pet shop. Most just breed rabbits for profit, many in bad conditions, and what's the point when there are so many rabbits in rescues.

Back