• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit waste

tickles

Mama Doe
Just wondered what my options was now for getting rid of dirty rabbit and guinepig waste.
The council are refusing to allow it in recycling bin.There is too much to go in the black bin.The neighbours are complaining about a skip been out here all the time because of smell and flies.We have tried burning in a garden incinerator but its too smokey and the neighbours might moan about that.So whats my options now.

we did that aswell angie they have now said we have too much and will only allow us a carrier bag or we will be classed as breeders x

we did that aswell angie they have now said we have too much and will only allow us a carrier bag or we will be classed as breeders x

Even a pair of bunnies make more waste than a carrier bag full!:?

Is it worth talking to the council and asking them if you can have special permission or something?

thats awful ... :?..can you not mix the bags...put in waste and household rubbish on top ... thats what we did when they got funny with us ;)..they dont bother us now

ours are funny about it to be honest hence we pay the skip firm £60 a month to take it away but the skip is outside all the time so neighbours moan.However not when they put extra rubbish in it thou.
Might have a word with the council and see.
Then i thought maybe put add is paper for farmers maunure heap as we only use hay and megazorb x

We have a green bin for garden waste and use that. However, it fills up really quickly with me going through so much hay from the kennel and foster babies I put it in bags and take it to the dump. I wish that the bins were taken away weekly rather than fort nightly :?

I guess I'm lucky, I give all mine to my dad for his compost on his alotment :D. I have 6 buns so there is a lot of waste . . .:roll:

hi there
was just going to say it might be worth asking down you local allotments to see if there is anyone who would be happy to use it. i know thats where all my waste will be going :D

Hi Tina, if the council wontbudge you can get one of those commercial style bins on wheels from them, then it has a roll top lid, keeps smells and flies away more than an ordinary skip, but I dont know how much they are I'm afraid. Other option is allotment holders, bunny poo is good for the soil so I'm sure there might be some who are interested, or you could even pop it on freecycle.

We had a problem with this too, tip wouldnt let me in because i have a van, couldnt put it in the bins so now we have a big green bin from a company from the yellow pages, pay £10 a week and it gets emptied every week.

My council quoted £15 per month for an additional 240l wheelie bin which would be emptied every week, so definitely cheaper than a commercial waste company.

our rabbit waste goes to a community scheme where they make compost etc , there may be one locally that would love your poop! I have a friend that also likes a car full when she comes up from London and she uses it on her allotment makes great veg !

My dad has a plot, but sais he wouldn't want the woodshavings and wee, just the poop and hay.

There's no way I'm going through picking out every bit of poop :shock:

Our neighbour has ours for his veg patch - apparently rabbit poo is the next best thing to horse manure :D

You might get a good response from Freecycle if you try on there to see if anyone would be willing to collect it from you each week. We bag our poo & hay for our neighbour & he sorts the poo from the hay ;) All we do then is put the paper in our black bin.

this is the most useful thread. i still havent found a really good way of dealing with waste. i sneak it into the household bin - no-one has told me not to - but as i live relatively close to lottielouise perhaps i'd better check on that. :oops:

My rabbits have wood litter and I put their waste on our compost heap. It breaks down really well into sawdust and dry ingredients like this are important for balancing all the wet ones like decomposing veg. I did stop putting it on when I was panacurring them though as I was unsure of the effect of this on the worms in the heap.

I've noticed that a breeder local to me puts her rabbits' waste on freecycle every time she has 10 black bags full.

Last edited:
Back