PDA

View Full Version : rabbit waste

tickles
30-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Just wondered what my options was now for getting rid of dirty rabbit and guinepig waste.
The council are refusing to allow it in recycling bin.There is too much to go in the black bin.The neighbours are complaining about a skip been out here all the time because of smell and flies.We have tried burning in a garden incinerator but its too smokey and the neighbours might moan about that.So whats my options now.

bunnymadhouse
30-08-2009, 06:05 PM
we have to take ours to the tip ..

tickles
30-08-2009, 06:06 PM
we did that aswell angie they have now said we have too much and will only allow us a carrier bag or we will be classed as breeders x

biscuitblossom
30-08-2009, 06:09 PM
we did that aswell angie they have now said we have too much and will only allow us a carrier bag or we will be classed as breeders x

Even a pair of bunnies make more waste than a carrier bag full!:?

Is it worth talking to the council and asking them if you can have special permission or something?

bunnymadhouse
30-08-2009, 06:09 PM
thats awful ... :?..can you not mix the bags...put in waste and household rubbish on top ... thats what we did when they got funny with us ;)..they dont bother us now

tickles
30-08-2009, 06:13 PM
ours are funny about it to be honest hence we pay the skip firm £60 a month to take it away but the skip is outside all the time so neighbours moan.However not when they put extra rubbish in it thou.
Might have a word with the council and see.
Then i thought maybe put add is paper for farmers maunure heap as we only use hay and megazorb x

*Spider*
30-08-2009, 06:20 PM
We have a green bin for garden waste and use that. However, it fills up really quickly with me going through so much hay from the kennel and foster babies I put it in bags and take it to the dump. I wish that the bins were taken away weekly rather than fort nightly :?

gillmanning
30-08-2009, 06:30 PM
I guess I'm lucky, I give all mine to my dad for his compost on his alotment :D. I have 6 buns so there is a lot of waste . . .:roll:

spudsmummy
30-08-2009, 06:36 PM
hi there
was just going to say it might be worth asking down you local allotments to see if there is anyone who would be happy to use it. i know thats where all my waste will be going :D

holidayhutch
30-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Hi Tina, if the council wontbudge you can get one of those commercial style bins on wheels from them, then it has a roll top lid, keeps smells and flies away more than an ordinary skip, but I dont know how much they are I'm afraid. Other option is allotment holders, bunny poo is good for the soil so I'm sure there might be some who are interested, or you could even pop it on freecycle.

devoted2buns
30-08-2009, 07:25 PM
We had a problem with this too, tip wouldnt let me in because i have a van, couldnt put it in the bins so now we have a big green bin from a company from the yellow pages, pay £10 a week and it gets emptied every week.

abbymarysmokey
30-08-2009, 07:27 PM
My council quoted £15 per month for an additional 240l wheelie bin which would be emptied every week, so definitely cheaper than a commercial waste company.

tickles
30-08-2009, 07:54 PM
sounds good ideas i might ask them about it tuesday x

DemiS
30-08-2009, 07:57 PM
We have a brown garden waste bin. It sais no pet bedding, should we risk it?

waggytailstina
30-08-2009, 08:11 PM
our rabbit waste goes to a community scheme where they make compost etc , there may be one locally that would love your poop! I have a friend that also likes a car full when she comes up from London and she uses it on her allotment makes great veg !

DemiS
30-08-2009, 08:13 PM
My dad has a plot, but sais he wouldn't want the woodshavings and wee, just the poop and hay.

There's no way I'm going through picking out every bit of poop :shock:

Bunnyaddict
30-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Our neighbour has ours for his veg patch - apparently rabbit poo is the next best thing to horse manure :D

You might get a good response from Freecycle if you try on there to see if anyone would be willing to collect it from you each week. We bag our poo & hay for our neighbour & he sorts the poo from the hay ;) All we do then is put the paper in our black bin.

Katya
30-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Can you compost wood cat litter pellets?

happybun
31-08-2009, 05:47 AM
this is the most useful thread. i still havent found a really good way of dealing with waste. i sneak it into the household bin - no-one has told me not to - but as i live relatively close to lottielouise perhaps i'd better check on that. :oops:

Wuezybun
31-08-2009, 07:06 AM
My rabbits have wood litter and I put their waste on our compost heap. It breaks down really well into sawdust and dry ingredients like this are important for balancing all the wet ones like decomposing veg. I did stop putting it on when I was panacurring them though as I was unsure of the effect of this on the worms in the heap.

I've noticed that a breeder local to me puts her rabbits' waste on freecycle every time she has 10 black bags full.

hannah
31-08-2009, 10:44 AM
I put mine in the compost bin - water the wood litter pellets down so they degrade properly. Our black bin is only emptied once a fortnight so I have no other choice really

*Spider*
31-08-2009, 10:49 AM
I have had two replies on my add saying what a good idea it is!
A rabbit rescue has also contacted me and have told them about Rabbit Rehome!

Emm-Jane76
31-08-2009, 10:50 AM
I do a weekly visit to the tip and put it in the garden waste x

DemiS
31-08-2009, 11:08 AM
I do a weekly visit to the tip and put it in the garden waste x

Does your garden waste bin say no pet bedding?

*Spider*
31-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Does your garden waste bin say no pet bedding?

I *think* it depends what colour it is.
My bin is for garden waste and it is green and animal waste is permitted.

tickles
31-08-2009, 11:10 AM
i used to put mine in the green bin as did the neighbours but we got threatened with a fine as it was contaminating the bins x

DemiS
31-08-2009, 11:12 AM
i used to put mine in the green bin as did the neighbours but we got threatened with a fine as it was contaminating the bins x

Is your green bin the recycling or garden waste bin?

Snowberry
31-08-2009, 11:18 AM
I just put mine in my normal green bin. We dont have a garden waste bin here and its obviously not recyclable. I put it all in black bin bags and tie them so I doubt they notice whats in it. Even with just 2 bunnies I fill a black bag every 2 days as I clean them out 3 times a day.

tickles
31-08-2009, 11:22 AM
our green bin is a garden waste one and they refuse to let us put it in there now as the council men said there was too much of it.

I cant put it in black household as its always full with ours the only extra bin we have is recycling as we do lots of thatx

DemiS
31-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Well I usually manage with the black bin (household) but I might have to sneak bits into the garden waste now I have another bun.

*Spider*
31-08-2009, 11:29 AM
:lol: I watch the bin men do our green bin and they have to shake it loads of times as we crush so much into it!

DemiS
31-08-2009, 11:31 AM
I never put the rabbit waste in a bin bag, just straight in the bin :lol: We were given 3 huge bags of woodshavings but they're a bit dusty, I bet they go all over the bin men :oops::lol:

Bunnykids
31-08-2009, 11:37 AM
I rang our council up,as I was confused where it was supposed to be put,as we have a grey wheelie for normal household and a green wheelie for garden waste.
I was told to put it in the grey one,in bin bags.

TermiteFrank
31-08-2009, 11:38 AM

That's ridiculous! I only have two bunnies and they generate more than one carrier bag of waste a week. It's either two carrier bags or a bin bag full. Good job they haven't noticed I'm using the brown recycling bin to store a bale of hay or I'd be in the doodoo. :lol:

DemiS
31-08-2009, 12:01 PM
what happens if you are classed as breeders?
Do you have to pay extra?

FriskyClover
31-08-2009, 02:42 PM
I put the hay into the garden waste bin, after all, it's only dried grass and it's clean.

Everything else goes to the tip once a week.

Do not get me started on fortnightly bin collections:censored:!

beki
31-08-2009, 02:42 PM
i stick mine in a bin bag and put it in the black general rubbish bin. At the moment they are collectng it weekly, don't know what i will do at the end of september when they go back to fortnightly collections. I also put the kitty litter stuff in there after the tray cleaning, and the bags of poo from the kitty tray. I really feel sorry for those bin men, my bin stinks!

chloaster
31-08-2009, 03:09 PM
freecycle .... my excess gets collected once a week by a lovely man with an allotment :D

peppa
01-09-2009, 11:28 AM
mine is now going in our brown garden bin as we were over filling the household green bin x i hope we dont get into trouble for this too x The bin system is ridiculous x grrrrrrrrr our bins stink and we even get maggots in the summer but they wont change to weekly collections . who wants rubbish sat in the heat for two weeks x makes me so cross x not that we have had much heat x
I wouldnt be surprised if people started up business all over the place for extra rubbish if they are allowed to that is as people would really go for it xx

karen

Towsbuns
01-09-2009, 03:21 PM
I put mine into our Green Garden waste wheelie bin and never had a problem - just checked the website and this is what is allowed:
Cardboard
Cardboard packaging – that’s things like cereal boxes, frozen food packets, toilet roll tubes, tissue boxes, washing powder boxes. greetings cards, corrugated card

Garden rubbish
Grass cuttings, small branches, hedge clippings, weeds, prunings

Other rubbish
Telephone books, Yellow Pages, pet straw, untreated sawdust and wood shavings, cut flowers, shredded paper, cold ash

It only stipulates no dog or cat waste - doesn't mention other animals so I assume I am ok. We have our black bin emtied every other week - don't often have problems with smells or maggots although I am really careful about bagging stuff up before binning.

Rin'Kon
01-09-2009, 03:22 PM
I live on the top floor of the flat and have a rubbish chute that leads to HUGE bins.

I just chuck it all down there :lol: I don't think I'm the worst culprit though. The smells that come up the chute are sometimes horrendous.

Joh619
01-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Yeah, mine goes in our brown bin which is collected every 2 weeks. I forgot to put it out a while ago though and managed to go a month without it being emptied! I think it was actually turning to compost on the bottom :S

Becca
01-09-2009, 03:25 PM
We take ours to the tip on a weekly basis.I also bring some to work if we have loads because we have a huge bin here.

Tuckerbunnies
01-09-2009, 03:29 PM
We take ours to the tip, but hay and rabbit droppings all break down and can be recycled but the council just won't listen and class it as the same as dog poop. :?

Stator
01-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Have you tried seriously compacting all your waste? Hay and rabbit poo you should be able to compress quite highly as there's nothing really solid in there. Luckily I have weekly collections and they usually take extra bags left next to the wheely bin anyway.

Angie65
01-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Can you buy a composter?:D

I have a LOT every week. I'm not allowed to put it in my garden-waste bin, but I sneak the odd into household waste in bin bags. The rest I take to the tip weekly - where it goes in garden waste:roll: I do have to make sure I don't contaminate it with newspaper - I try to put that in separate bags:D

jazzywoo
02-09-2009, 11:45 PM
we put ours in the green waste at the tip