• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone have a bun who...

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
...is just permanently disinterested in food??

I'm getting a bit freaked out by how little Dandelion eats, she takes maybe a handful of food per day including hay, pellets and veg. I was going to take her to the vet but I spoke to her current guardian and apparently she's always been like that :?:?

I wondered about her teeth but they've been checked apparently :?

I would still take her to the vets for s full check up and look over. When I recieved Princess, I was told that she doesn't eat much hay (cos they filled her bowl with museli 2/3 times a day), and they had to chop her veggies up small and put them in with her museli, cos she has been fussy since her spay.

Turned out she had teeth problems and an infection from her spay which eventually killed her.

Not saying this is going to happen, but better getting her to a rabbit savvy vet than letting her go on with possible underlying problems.

Also as you ahve probably seen on here there are fussy so and sos some times, so maybe a change in hay and a bit of variety, plus the company of a good bunny will all she needs to start eating properly!

Last edited:
I have borrowed her from a rescue and when they got her in, they took her for a full health check :? If I end up keeping her I will prob have another one done just in case though.

She currently has in with her, 4 types of hay, some pellets, some grass and 8 types of veg...she picks at it from time to time but isnt really interested.

Will be interesting to see if she improves once settled in a new home with a companion though. thanks for your help. x

Eddison has had a poor appetite for some time now. He used to dive on top of the food bowl, but now he just kind of picks at it at his leisure. He still eats 1/4 cup of pellets over the 24 hour period, eats all his veggies, and munches on grass, but it doesn't feel quite right.

All I can add is that the more he exercises in a day, the better he eats. Also, I plan on getting his teeth checked.

How are Dandelion's poos?

ETA: Also, both my buns eat poorly when they are shedding, so I just try and make sure they are eating lots of hay and drinking lots of water during those times. I also sometimes give fibreplex during sheds to help them get over it quicker.

Hazel is never really interested in food but he maintains his body weight and doesn't appear to have anything wrong with him (good teeth and gut).

Eddison has had a poor appetite for some time now. He used to dive on top of the food bowl, but now he just kind of picks at it at his leisure. He still eats 1/4 cup of pellets over the 24 hour period, eats all his veggies, and munches on grass, but it doesn't feel quite right.

All I can add is that the more he exercises in a day, the better he eats. Also, I plan on getting his teeth checked.

How are Dandelion's poos?

ETA: Also, both my buns eat poorly when they are shedding, so I just try and make sure they are eating lots of hay and drinking lots of water during those times. I also sometimes give fibreplex during sheds to help them get over it quicker.

She is pooing, but they're not "ideal" poos - quite hard and dark. She is shedding a little and I've been brushing her to avoid hair building up in her tummy. She's due to be spayed soon so maybe they could do an extra thorough health check then??

She doesn't seem ill as such, she has enjoyed a little run around and demolished a cable, and likes having her head stroked.

When I got Bramble it took about 5 weeks for her to eat what I'd consider a "normal" amount of pellets and hay. She just seems to be a nervy bun and any changes to her environment unsettle her. That said she seems much more laid back about stuff now since she's been happily bonded with Flop.

grrrrrrrrrrrrr

i have found a rabbit club in hexham, PERFECT! but the woman wont pick up , we have rang 4 times!!!

Is she on her own? Just a thought because Amber was a grazer. She wouldn't eat hay ( i tried EVERYTHING) and would pick at grass and pellets. She would eat her veg though. Now she has a husbun she's eats lots:)

Is she on her own? Just a thought because Amber was a grazer. She wouldn't eat hay ( i tried EVERYTHING) and would pick at grass and pellets. She would eat her veg though. Now she has a husbun she's eats lots:)

That's very interesting, she's on her own for now prior to hopefully bonding her with my Apache. speaking of Apache, when I got him he was very reluctant to eat veg but now he loves it, so I think he learnt from Sorrel's example.

Last night I was contemplating whether her teeth were worrying her so I gave her some fine ground pellets and some grted carrot, and in another dish whole pellet and a chunk of carrot, thinking that teeth problems would cause her to pick the food thats easiest to chew...she ate equally little of both of them though :lol::roll:

Yes, my Rosie was like this. She ate a lot of hay, but very little interest in anything else. I was worried what would happen when she was bonded with Little Ted as I thought she wouldn't get a look in. But, he seems to have encouraged her and they both go crazy for their grub now, running round in mad circles and scoffing it down like they've never eaten before.

Back