• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Putting the hutches in a tent? Am I mad?

kcbunny

Young Bun
with winter approaching I am trying to sort out a bit more protection for our 4 rabbits who live outdoors (2 in each happy hutch)

been looking at sheds but it seems like an expensive option so came up with the idea of buying an older style frame tent from ebay and putting the hutches in it-so protecting them from the rain and wind and giving shelter

husband thinks I have totally lost the plot.....

would this work or not? would leave it open unless pouring and at night of course for sunlight and ventilation and the buns get free run of the garden when we are in

any comments for and against please!

Hmmm - I think you'd be better off buying a cheap shed to be honest. A tent will probably not withstand the winter rain and wind and would flap a lot which might frighten the buns? If you get a cheap shed, you can put the hutches in there and they'll be toasty warm :D

yeah i reckon a tent would be a pain in the bum, also on warm days which can happen with our weather, it would get all sweaty in there.
Definately think the shed idea is the best one.;)

I think you're going in the right direction about protecting the hutches but a tent may not be the best suited. I agree that a shed would be best :)

I agree a shed would probably be a better choice. Tents tend to get all damp and icky inside.
As for your second question, I dunno. Do you have hairy palms? :)

Are you rabbits old or fur-challenged or do you live in Scottish highlands? If not a bit of plastic over the mesh will keep out rain and throw a blanket/tarp over on really chilly nights. That should be all they need.

I agree with Tamsin - if you weather proof the hutch, then they should be perfectly happy. I had a HH hutch and run, and lined the inside of the hutch with plywood (mainly to stop nibbling but it also kept out draughts). I kept the roof of the run covered with tarpaulins over the winter, and plenty of hay in the hutch itself, along with a snugglesafe on really cold nights - Alfie and Bubbles spent most of their time out in the run. :roll::lol:

thanks for the replies looks like i am mad after all....

last year dh made hutch covers out of tarpaulin and that silver bubble insulation stuff and they grew fluffy coats and had snuggle safes-will have to do this again as sheds are too expensive :(

was just looking to do something more "Permanent" this year that would also keep me and the kids dry when we are out with them

will have to save up for a shed for next year

:wave: I don't think you're that mad :lol: - I put a gazebo over my runs in the summer so the bunnies have a cool, shaded area without pesky flies. It's rubbish if it's windy though.

thanks for the replies looks like i am mad after all....

Nah, not mad at all. ;)

That's why I bought an aviary type set up instead because I was fed up of getting a soaking wet bum from leaning into the hutch. :lol: I forgot to mention that my buns have a parasol over it too to keep the sun off too. :oops::lol::lol:

Back