• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bisc - is this gas? *he's done it!*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
bisc went quite quiet last night and wouldn't eat as much as normal. i gave him metacam and felt his tummy and it felt harder than normal and a bit distended. also, when i gently massaged it, it made gurgly noises, particularly on parts that seemed hard.

is this gas?

he did some poops but small ones which really smelled.

he is having metacam and is eating more now and moving around more aswell.

i think it is gas, he kind of lay down funny, and i didn't know how to explain but he was kind of walking different, and half closing his eyes.

does this sound like gas and can someone tell me what i can give him and how much/how often etc. he weighs 2.19kg.

Last edited:
bisc went quite quiet last night and wouldn't eat as much as normal. i gave him metacam and felt his tummy and it felt harder than normal and a bit distended. also, when i gently massaged it, it made gurgly noises, particularly on parts that seemed hard.

is this gas?

he did some poops but small ones which really smelled.

he is having metacam and is eating more now and moving around more aswell.

i think it is gas, he kind of lay down funny, and i didn't know how to explain but he was kind of walking different, and half closing his eyes.

does this sound like gas and can someone tell me what i can give him and how much/how often etc. he weighs 2.19kg.

Yes it sounds like gas. It can occur in isolation due to stress or caecal dysbiosis (upset tum), but it can also be secondary to an obstruction or impaction or straightfoward stasis/ileus. For the latter risks Bisc will need to see a vet for a full exam if it does not resolve itself in the next hour or so.
Metacam - great. I would also give him 1ml of infacol or 1-2ml gripe water and gently but firmly massage his tummy from his ribs down to his bottom using the flat of your hand in circular motions. I would also make him hop around. He's not your respiratory bunny is he??

Yes it sounds like gas. It can occur in isolation due to stress or caecal dysbiosis (upset tum), but it can also be secondary to an obstruction or impaction or straightfoward stasis/ileus. For the latter risks Bisc will need to see a vet for a full exam if it does not resolve itself in the next hour or so.
Metacam - great. I would also give him 1ml of infacol or 1-2ml gripe water and gently but firmly massage his tummy from his ribs down to his bottom using the flat of your hand in circular motions. I would also make him hop around. He's not your respiratory bunny is he??

he does have uri but has been off meds for a few months now.

i tried them with basil yesterday and he had one leaf and it has upset his tum. :(

he is moving around lots more now and eating but his poops are still small.

i have maxolon here aswell which the vet gave me incase this happened, but i don't know if i can use it. normally i would, but then i've read sometimes it can make things worse?

i think it is gas, as he never seems to get full on stasis, yet isn't quite right either. he had it before and i gave him the maxolon and metacam and went to the vets and he said i didn't really need to give the maxalon as it wasn't full stasis because he was eating.

so i think it is gas. will it do him any harm to have infacol? just want to make sure. i don't have any in but can go and get some.

hmmmm.... biscs tum is feeling alot softer now, and the 'hard' parts seem to be moving towards the back end. it's like lumps in his tum but they are like taut skin and when you massage them they gurgle.

my mum is on her way round with some infacol so does everyone think it is gas bubbles? and would infacol be safe to use, say even if gas was suspected? it wouldn't do any harm?

bisc is moving around normally now and eating normally too. just had his veg and lots more hay.

sorry keep posting, just don't want to give him infacol if i shouldn't.

hmmmm.... biscs tum is feeling alot softer now, and the 'hard' parts seem to be moving towards the back end. it's like lumps in his tum but they are like taut skin and when you massage them they gurgle.

my mum is on her way round with some infacol so does everyone think it is gas bubbles? and would infacol be safe to use, say even if gas was suspected? it wouldn't do any harm?

bisc is moving around normally now and eating normally too. just had his veg and lots more hay.

sorry keep posting, just don't want to give him infacol if i shouldn't.

Sorry for delay! Up to my eyes in human rights law! :roll: There's usually more people on here.... :?
Yeah, I think if he's moving around normally and eating normally then he probably no longer needs the infacol. However, in my unqualified opinion (stealing Jane's line!) it would not cause any harm if you were to give it and he didn't need it as it's just simeticone and pretty inert stuff. However, if he is your 'breathing' problem bun or is that Matt? then he might get stressed being given a medication if he's feeling better and livelier.
Hope that helps a bit.....definitely worth keeping a pot in the house though for next time (if it should happen again - hopefully not). :wave:

Sorry for delay! Up to my eyes in human rights law! :roll: There's usually more people on here.... :?
Yeah, I think if he's moving around normally and eating normally then he probably no longer needs the infacol. However, in my unqualified opinion (stealing Jane's line!) it would not cause any harm if you were to give it and he didn't need it as it's just simeticone and pretty inert stuff. However, if he is your 'breathing' problem bun or is that Matt? then he might get stressed being given a medication if he's feeling better and livelier.
Hope that helps a bit.....definitely worth keeping a pot in the house though for next time (if it should happen again - hopefully not). :wave:

i'm so annoyed because i nearly bought some in asda on tuesday but changed my mind! :roll:

matt is the 'breathing' bunny. bisc is the cystitis bunny! it isn't a cystitis thing again though, that was my first thought, he is weeing normally.

he is running over for veg everytime i go to the kitchen so isn't off his food, but his tummy still feels firmer than it should. mind you, i said to the vet is tum felt too firm once, and he said it just felt full!

hmmm.... i will give the infacol and see if that makes any difference, and keep on with the metacam just until his poops are normal again. they are smaller but still 'hay' coloured so he is eating enough hay. he is moulting too so maybe that has something to do with it.

they're such a worry aren't they. my nerves can't take anymore!!!

my mum couldn't find any in tesco so my brother has very kindly gone out looking for some! sometimes little things people do get me all emotional!

just massaged biscs tum again and it's gurgling quite loudly now. certain parts are quite hard and when you go deeper into them they gurgle and when i stopped all the gas moved and i could see his tum moving. :( he let me massage for a good length of time though.

just praying my brother can find some infacol. :(

oh my god!!! my brothers going all the way to some tesco miles away to get the infacol. couldn't find anywhere else open!

least they have it. the man said it is the one in a white box though? is this still the right one? because it is usually a pink box isn't it?

oh my god!!! my brothers going all the way to some tesco miles away to get the infacol. couldn't find anywhere else open!

least they have it. the man said it is the one in a white box though? is this still the right one? because it is usually a pink box isn't it?

That sounds like it - I've not come across anything else called Infacol.
In the absence of any of the regular experts I can only describe what I do when I suspect gas. For me 1ml is an initial dosage, then I play it by ear. If I suspect that didn't have an effect I give another 0.5ml an hour later and so on. In my experience it usually takes the initial dose but no more than a third dose to see normal behaviour - but that's my experience. Of course it may not be gas. Good luck, fingers crossed he feels better soon.

That sounds like it - I've not come across anything else called Infacol.
In the absence of any of the regular experts I can only describe what I do when I suspect gas. For me 1ml is an initial dosage, then I play it by ear. If I suspect that didn't have an effect I give another 0.5ml an hour later and so on. In my experience it usually takes the initial dose but no more than a third dose to see normal behaviour - but that's my experience. Of course it may not be gas. Good luck, fingers crossed he feels better soon.

thank you.

my brother got here after an hour of travelling round for it. love him.

i've given 1ml to bisc and another long tum massage. i am going to see how he is after an hour and then decide whether to give another small dose, or go to the emergency vets.

bisc is eating and drinking but hasn't pooped in a bit.

his tum feels a little bit softer though. fingers crossed.

one hour more i'm going to give him, but only because he is acting himself. but after that i'm going to the vets. just a shame it's the useless vets and that makes me nervous.

it's strange because he is eating caecotrophs, yet doesn't seem to be doing many normal poops. they are small yet not dark though. bit strange.

my gut instinct is that he does have gas. hope the infacol will help.

The reason I said it may not be gas is because in my experience gas is unmistakable (granted people's experiences vary). When my Max got gas he had all the classic symptoms of a bunny in pain - loud tummy noises, hiding or avoiding me, hunched up and grinding his teeth, difficulting staying in one position, refusing to eat even his favourite food. Once the Infacol kicked in it was back to normal behaviour - eating, pooping, cleaning as if nothing happened :roll:. It's now a good few years now since he's had gas (once I sorted out his diet).
I hope Bisc is feeling much better now.

The reason I said it may not be gas is because in my experience gas is unmistakable (granted people's experiences vary). When my Max got gas he had all the classic symptoms of a bunny in pain - loud tummy noises, hiding or avoiding me, hunched up and grinding his teeth, difficulting staying in one position, refusing to eat even his favourite food. Once the Infacol kicked in it was back to normal behaviour - eating, pooping, cleaning as if nothing happened :roll:. It's now a good few years now since he's had gas (once I sorted out his diet).
I hope Bisc is feeling much better now.

bisc was quiet and would go somewhere but then sit there for ages, then when he lay down he would push his tum against the ground and put his head on the floor aswell.

he isn't eating much hay now, but he has had some veg.

the emergency/useless vets told me (over the phone) to go with the meds that the rabbit vet had said to use in a situation like this, as that is all they would give him anyway because he is eating still and moving around. :?

so he has been having metacam anyway, and then infacol, and then the maxolon the rabbit vet gave me to keep here.

he has done some poops, still very small though, and very 'gassy' smelling.

to be honest he does seem a bit brighter than earlier. but his tum still isn't right, it is softer though.

hoping some more poops will come through shortly. i'm on poop watch.

going to do his metacam at 2am and some more infacol aswell.

he is confusing me because he is running over for veg, yet he isn't pooping alot. :?

is there anything else i could give him?

Last edited:
Some veg cause gas (and that was my undoing at the time - I found out the hard way). So unless that's all he'll eat I wouldn't give any more. I use to give wet parsley or something wet just make sure they were hydrated. Just make sure he access to plenty of hay and water.
It honestly sounds as if you've done all you can for now. If he seems comfortable get some rest you may have more responses from people tomorrow. I use to worry myself silly sometimes and be completely useless the next day. Strange how it always happens at the weekend - a bank holiday weekend at that. But perhaps you may be able to see an emergency vet (who isn't useless). Get some sleep. You and Bisc take care.

Some veg cause gas (and that was my undoing at the time - I found out the hard way). So unless that's all he'll eat I wouldn't give any more. I use to give wet parsley or something wet just make sure they were hydrated. Just make sure he access to plenty of hay and water.
It honestly sounds as if you've done all you can for now. If he seems comfortable get some rest you may have more responses from people tomorrow. I use to worry myself silly sometimes and be completely useless the next day. Strange how it always happens at the weekend - a bank holiday weekend at that. But perhaps you may be able to see an emergency vet (who isn't useless). Get some sleep. You and Bisc take care.

the maxolon has helped alot, he has his appetite for hay back now, so he is having that. the only veg i could give him was carrot and thyme, as the other stuff he likes is gassy so i didn't want to add more gas!!!

he ate lots of hay and then did some more poops, twice as many as before, they are a little bigger but quite soft.

he has just had another 0.5ml of infacol and a tum rub. his tum is very gurgly and gassy. but seems to all be coming through now.

there is no way i will sleep. i will have to watch him now. and if he carries on doing ok then i will try the two rabbit vets i use in the morning and hope one is open and able to see him.

i've been out picking grass! washed it and then wet it again and also some parsley and thyme, also soaked in water. just to get some more fluids in him. he ate them all. and more hay. he has done more poops now, a little bigger again, and one normal sized one. stomach still not quite right. but will carry on with meds and hopefully he will more poops out. he seems happy enough though. :)

Back