• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help really urgent!!!

minaki

Young Bun
my bunny just ate half of a small dried rubarb leaf!!!
i know rubARB IS poisonous for rabits but how much of it?

would my bunny be ok or shall i take him to the vet?:shock::shock::shock:

ring a rabbit savvy vet as im afraid i dont know they can advise better. x

You normally require a large quantity of a poisonous plant to reach a threshold of toxicity, but I would phone the vet for advice.

I would also encourage my bun to eat lots of 'safe' things immediately - in order to 'dilute' the toxins he may have ingested - some poison advice sites I have read do suggest this.

I had this dilemma the other day when Frank decided to prune one of my garden pots I'd foolishly left in his way. He ate almost a whole ivy plant just before his tea. :shock: He's absolutely fine, the gutbucket! Typically there was a non toxic lavender plant sat there he won't touch. :lol:

I was petrified he was going to get ill and die, but after a night of me checking on him (much to his confusion), he was absolutely fine.

If you look here it tells you how toxic rhubarb is:
http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-poison.html

A 10 stone person would have to eat 11 pounds of rhubarb leaves to die of rhubarb poisoning. So a rabbit would likely have to eat about 12% of it's body mass which translates as about for a 6 ounces for 5 pound rabbit. Half a small dried rhubarb leaf is probably an ounce or so when fresh - it won't kill your bunny, but it might make him sick.

Check with a vet to see what they say and monitor him to check for ill effects or him going off his food. Any change in behaviour and don't hesitate in getting him to the vet.

I had this dilemma the other day when Frank decided to prune one of my garden pots I'd foolishly left in his way. He ate almost a whole ivy plant just before his tea. :shock: He's absolutely fine, the gutbucket! Typically there was a non toxic lavender plant sat there he won't touch. :lol:

Ivy is listed in a book I have by a vet as not exactly safe - but not too much of a problem either, so don't worry. It is when Ivy is in berry that it would be a concern. The odd nibble of ivy leaves appears to have no detrimental effect in rabbits according to the author.

Back