• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unexpected

SageMD

New Kit
I have suddenly and unexpectedly rescued 5 bunnies, from a meat farm, and am trying to learn everything I can ASAP. The bunnies came with decrepit cages they have spent their whole lives in. These animals were seriously neglected, which leaves them behaviorally unadoptable. I am a human behaviorist and have found that the science applies nicely to the animals. I need a supportive and knowledgeable group, people I can discuss trials and triumphs with. Is this the right place for me?

:wave:
Sage

Welcome to RU :wave:

I've found this a great and informative forum, hope its as much help for you :)

Hope the poor bunnies can live happy, healthy lives now.

Yip, sounds like youve found the right place.....we love people who are out to do the best by animals :)
Welcome :wave:

Hi and welcome to RU. You have certainly come to the right place for advice. So pleased to rescued the bunnies. :wave:

Welcome! Well done for saving the buns! Maybe you can tell us a little bit about them? If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

h iassuming they are large rabbits as they were meat bunnys previously. so i think the first thing is to get accomodations set up ideally sheds for large bunnys but i guess it depends on their size/breed(pictures and weights would help) 2 medium bunnys usually go in a 6x2x2ft hutch attatched to a large 6x6ft minimum run. you may be best off having them as indoor rabbits as this would mean free range and mroe space? jsut have a base for them eg somewhere food goes litter trays and water bottles. of course i would imagine they ahve a lot of health problems such as sore hocks on their feet due to size and cage mesh underfoot.

rabbits have a very delecate digestive system so new foods should be introduced slowly, get them on soft hay as beddign adn food meadow hay from farms is cheap and freshest usually.

find a local rabbit savvy vet these are hard to come by but give us your location and we will point you in the right direction. rabbits in good health need vaccinations annually (vhd) and myxi (every 6 months), bunnys kept in cramped conditions can be partial to ec so a course of pannacur may be advisable (28days) also if they appear sneezing etc then first rule out allergys to dusty things buy removing wood chips etc and get hem onto an antibiotic such as baytril in case of snuffles or other respiritory problems. hope this basic helps... also get their teeth checked as they may have dental issues. :) (and sexing is obviously a must) they will need to be seperated into sexes but be warned unneutered rabbits often fight so neutering them all is a high priority too.not to mention stopping cancer which hits 85% of unspayed females.

oh and on the behavioural side, neutering will calm a rabbit but remember that they are prey animals and hate to be picked up in general sitting on the floor letting them come to you in a wide space and making tehm feel secure by giving them bolt holes is a must... have food to tempt them some rabbtis jsut prefer bunny company too and you may find this with that group. also they tend to not enjoy being turned onto their backs and being tranced but this can be done to check bottems for stickyness and fly strike 9 can be avoided with rear gaurd) hopefully iv covered the main basics and a BIG well done on getting them out too xx

Back