View Full Version : Ok I need help!

29-08-2009, 11:37 PM
I have previously posted about both of my male rabbit's behaviour towards me. Well it is now getting out of control! They are not bonded so kept seperate, one is 16 weeks and one is 18 weeks. Their hormones have clearly kicked in but my vet will not nueter them until 6 months!

I really need some advice as niether of them will leave me alone for a second, they run around me grunting, dig at and scratch me, bite me, hump my leg whilst holding on with their teeth!!! :oops: My legs are scratched and bitten to hell! They used to be so loving and snuggly... now they are just horrors. :roll:

Any suggestions on how I can stop this or at least make it less painful? Other than wearing thick jeans!! :lol: Thanks

Ted an Petal
29-08-2009, 11:41 PM
hey hun, sorry nothing much can really be done till their neutured, even at that they will still continue to be a bit behaviourialy till they get past their teen years. you can wear heavy clothing and screech everytime they bite you. you could also try placing your hand over the back and holding them down a bit to show domiance. please do that carefully though as you don't want to hurt him, just a light pressure. hope this helps a little. they will grow out of it i promise.

29-08-2009, 11:46 PM
look for a different vet!?!? I did this with Sophie, as mine wouldn't neuter til 6 months, So I moved vets, and I got Sophie done at 16 weeks, cos of hormonal behaviour. If they have dropped their plums they need them lopping off.:shock::lol:

29-08-2009, 11:56 PM
I also agree that you might want to try another vet. If you can find another one that is good with rabbits a lot of them will neuter a boy as soon as they have developed into a boy.

30-08-2009, 12:16 AM
ok thanks for all of your replies. I am at the vets on Tues so will ask if they will do the op any earlier due to behaviour. I hope so as she is a really good vet and I know they can be hard to find. :(

If not I think I will have to look for another vet. I am also worried that if they carry on like this for another 2 months they will have learnt that behavior and never be good again!!

30-08-2009, 09:02 AM
A good rabbit savvy vet should do the op as soon as they have dropped, there is no real arguement for waiting like there is with a doe.

30-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Ted was done at 12 weeks. Once they're dropped they can be snipped. It'll take about 6 weeks for the *****-moans to leave them, so don't expect a difference straight away!

Good luck!

30-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Maybe try your local RSPCA.

We had the op done by the RSPCA - our vet wouldn't do it until 6months and the RSPCA insisted that we had the rabbit from their rescue done at 4 months.
So we did and it went well - it was part of the conditions of rescue that we had the 4 months op.

I would have preferred to have it done at our own vets but they wouldn't and the RSPCA insisted it was done - so I gave the RSPCA the money we would have spent at the vet instead.