• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where to get a 2nd hand rabbit hutch?!

cloughie

Banned
Hi guys

Has anyone got any ideas where to look for a 2nd hand rabbit hutch in the Essex/Kent area...I've looked on a few free ad websites but nothing on them and have checked ebay for the past 2 weeks...only 1 hutch popped up but someone outbidded me in the last second .

I don't want to pay too much for one as would only be using it for a few months until my 2nd rabbit neutered and can be bonded with my 1st.

ebay is pretty much your best bet, just keep an eye out! do you already have your second bunny? ifnot, you could always get a neutured bunny from a rescue, then you wouldnt need to buy another hutch?

hi from a fellow essex-er by the way!:wave:

Yih I'm guessing Ebay will be my best option...fed up of looking and losing out though :grr: :lol: Nah I have not got bunny 2 yet so no rush...hate waiting though :lol:

unfortunately I have had bad experiences with rescue centres before so steer clear from them :(.

unfortunately I have had bad experiences with rescue centres before so steer clear from them :(.

Not all rescues are the same so just try a different one..there are quite a few in Essex:D

and if you do get a 2nd hand hutch be sure to disinfect it thoroughly before use!

Yih I'm guessing Ebay will be my best option...fed up of looking and losing out though :grr: :lol: Nah I have not got bunny 2 yet so no rush...hate waiting though :lol:

What's your bad experience with rescues? :?

Oh and hello from sunny ole Essex too :wave: where abouts there do you hail from? I'm nr. Lakeside Shopping Centre :D

My rabbit is also called Pebbles :lol::lol:

haha how funny! :D Not all rescue centres are bad, and then you would be able to see who pebbles likes, rather than get a bunny, neuter and get to have a bond with them and then find out they dont bond, and then you would have two single bunnies!

Why dont you go take a look at some? Theres two in your area, StarlightsRabbitRescue, and Little Angels Rabbit Rescue, both in dagenham. no pressure, just have a look and see what you think.

x

What's your bad experience with rescues? :?

Years ago my parents got a 3yr old rescue rabbit and was told he was health free, this was from a reputable rescue centre so we had no reasons to disbelieve them...we took him to the vet for a check up and it turned out he had various health problems some of which were quite serious. We had him for 6 months before he passed way and my parents spent quite a bit on vet bills. This has put me off straight away.

Another one is with homechecks....with every rescue centre it was like they made up a story as to why I was not suitable....the hutch and run met the requirements but I always got stupid responses..i.e. 'Your garden is not secure, if the rabbit escaped it could escape from the garden'...my personal favourite was 'as your neighbour has young children and a large dog unfortunately we cannot allow a rabbit to come here'.

haha how funny! :D Not all rescue centres are bad, and then you would be able to see who pebbles likes, rather than get a bunny, neuter and get to have a bond with them and then find out they dont bond, and then you would have two single bunnies!

Why dont you go take a look at some? Theres two in your area, StarlightsRabbitRescue, and Little Angels Rabbit Rescue, both in dagenham. no pressure, just have a look and see what you think.

x

Yih I've checked them...I doubt I'd meet the requirements though now that I have moved and got a different hutch :) My OH is getting bunny 2 so I'll leave it to him as to where he gets him from...he'll prob com back with a hare :lol:

Yih I've checked them...I doubt I'd meet the requirements though now that I have moved and got a different hutch :) My OH is getting bunny 2 so I'll leave it to him as to where he gets him from...he'll prob com back with a hare :lol:

Feel free to pm regarding rabbits.

I do not discriminate unfairly, and quite a few members here have been to mine/adopted from me ;)

I once or twice managed to get a hutch from our local skip/dumping/recycling place... youre not really meant to take things from there but there was a big hutch there one day when we went to go and dump some stuff and because I am always rescuing buns from horrid people near me... it wouldnt go amiss. I disinfected it thoroughly with bleach and (I think its called) Jayes fluid?? Kinda dark coloured stuff... vets recommended it to clean hutches when I took on a GP that had mites so bad her hair was falling out :(

And thorogh rinsing off too of course...

Or maybe freecycle? But the hutches I have seen on there are usually little :(

Back