PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a 2nd hand rabbit hutch?!

cloughie
29-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Hi guys

Has anyone got any ideas where to look for a 2nd hand rabbit hutch in the Essex/Kent area...I've looked on a few free ad websites but nothing on them and have checked ebay for the past 2 weeks...only 1 hutch popped up but someone outbidded me in the last second .

I don't want to pay too much for one as would only be using it for a few months until my 2nd rabbit neutered and can be bonded with my 1st.

XMissySJx
29-08-2009, 10:03 PM
ebay is pretty much your best bet, just keep an eye out! do you already have your second bunny? ifnot, you could always get a neutured bunny from a rescue, then you wouldnt need to buy another hutch?

hi from a fellow essex-er by the way!:wave:

cloughie
29-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Yih I'm guessing Ebay will be my best option...fed up of looking and losing out though :grr: :lol: Nah I have not got bunny 2 yet so no rush...hate waiting though :lol:

unfortunately I have had bad experiences with rescue centres before so steer clear from them :(.

honeybunny
29-08-2009, 10:32 PM
unfortunately I have had bad experiences with rescue centres before so steer clear from them :(.

Not all rescues are the same so just try a different one..there are quite a few in Essex:D

and if you do get a 2nd hand hutch be sure to disinfect it thoroughly before use!

DemiS
29-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Yih I'm guessing Ebay will be my best option...fed up of looking and losing out though :grr: :lol: Nah I have not got bunny 2 yet so no rush...hate waiting though :lol:

What's your bad experience with rescues? :?

cloughie
30-08-2009, 09:41 AM
hi from a fellow essex-er by the way!:wave:

Oh and hello from sunny ole Essex too :wave: where abouts there do you hail from? I'm nr. Lakeside Shopping Centre :D

My rabbit is also called Pebbles :lol::lol:

XMissySJx
30-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Oh and hello from sunny ole Essex too :wave: where abouts there do you hail from? I'm nr. Lakeside Shopping Centre :D

My rabbit is also called Pebbles :lol::lol:

haha how funny! :D Not all rescue centres are bad, and then you would be able to see who pebbles likes, rather than get a bunny, neuter and get to have a bond with them and then find out they dont bond, and then you would have two single bunnies!

Why dont you go take a look at some? Theres two in your area, StarlightsRabbitRescue, and Little Angels Rabbit Rescue, both in dagenham. no pressure, just have a look and see what you think.

x

cloughie
30-08-2009, 09:50 AM
What's your bad experience with rescues? :?

Years ago my parents got a 3yr old rescue rabbit and was told he was health free, this was from a reputable rescue centre so we had no reasons to disbelieve them...we took him to the vet for a check up and it turned out he had various health problems some of which were quite serious. We had him for 6 months before he passed way and my parents spent quite a bit on vet bills. This has put me off straight away.

Another one is with homechecks....with every rescue centre it was like they made up a story as to why I was not suitable....the hutch and run met the requirements but I always got stupid responses..i.e. 'Your garden is not secure, if the rabbit escaped it could escape from the garden'...my personal favourite was 'as your neighbour has young children and a large dog unfortunately we cannot allow a rabbit to come here'.

cloughie
30-08-2009, 09:54 AM
haha how funny! :D Not all rescue centres are bad, and then you would be able to see who pebbles likes, rather than get a bunny, neuter and get to have a bond with them and then find out they dont bond, and then you would have two single bunnies!

Why dont you go take a look at some? Theres two in your area, StarlightsRabbitRescue, and Little Angels Rabbit Rescue, both in dagenham. no pressure, just have a look and see what you think.

x

Yih I've checked them...I doubt I'd meet the requirements though now that I have moved and got a different hutch :) My OH is getting bunny 2 so I'll leave it to him as to where he gets him from...he'll prob com back with a hare :lol:

Starlight
30-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Yih I've checked them...I doubt I'd meet the requirements though now that I have moved and got a different hutch :) My OH is getting bunny 2 so I'll leave it to him as to where he gets him from...he'll prob com back with a hare :lol:

Feel free to pm regarding rabbits.

I do not discriminate unfairly, and quite a few members here have been to mine/adopted from me ;)

TeflonsShadow
30-08-2009, 02:56 PM
I once or twice managed to get a hutch from our local skip/dumping/recycling place... youre not really meant to take things from there but there was a big hutch there one day when we went to go and dump some stuff and because I am always rescuing buns from horrid people near me... it wouldnt go amiss. I disinfected it thoroughly with bleach and (I think its called) Jayes fluid?? Kinda dark coloured stuff... vets recommended it to clean hutches when I took on a GP that had mites so bad her hair was falling out :(

And thorogh rinsing off too of course...

Or maybe freecycle? But the hutches I have seen on there are usually little :(