• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need help quick please ...

chloaster

Warren Veteran
Brillo my four week old orphan has collapsed, it's like he has floppy bunny syndrome. I've rung the vets and they want to charge me £66 to try him on Baytril or put him to sleep ....

Is he too young to have Baytril as I have some here? Is there anything else I can do for him - I've given him some cherry tomato juice and a heatsafe as he seems a bit cold but otherwise I feel helpless.

Just trying to remember a thread where Kirsty (Chipmunk K) had sick babies, I *think* Jane didn't think Baytril in such young babies was such a good idea. (Goes off to find thread to see what it says)

The advice I read wasn't in the thread I thought and I can't for the life of me remember where it was.

Hopefully somebody who actually knows what they are talking about can help more... though I'm determined to remember where I read it as it might have some more useful advice. ...

Maybe try giving him some baby food/ recovery food (syringe if needed)? I have known bun babies to like some baby foods.... keep him warm and a bit of baytril. Make sure hes getting fluids (syringe feed if needed)

Check his pee and poo outlet!!

Good luck!!!

I would say odds are it's gut related and even if it's bacterial then oral baytril will probably finish off the guts before it could do any good for the infection. If you've got injectable then you could try that.

Otherwise fluids and recovery. You could try the treatment for 'floppy bunny' but I would think that it's just a symptom of sickness in such a young bunny rather than related to that.

To be very honest, those sort of symptoms in a healthy adult bun are pretty dire so I don't know that there is any action you can take that will help :(

Most important thing is to keep his temp up..if he is "with it " enough to take some fluids then try..
Sadly I think the outlook isn't good:cry:
thinking of you and the bunny xx

Chloe do you have some Hartmanns and can you give SQ fluids ?

If so I'd warm the bag of Hartmanns to body temp and give Brillo 10ml.

Also put him on a heat pad but dont administer anything by mouth.

* NOT QUALIFIED ADVICE*
, just what I'd do in the absence of access to a decent Vet

Millions of vibes :cry:

Chloe try st georges in wolves they've normally got some one good with bunnies on, but unfortunately you will pay £100's of pounds, they are normally good only had a couple of bad episodes with them. Sending lots of vibes XXX

Thank guys - we rang Julia's vets in the end and they advised us to keep him warm and hydrated. He is still with us this morning but now has no life in his body at all but he has had some water and his cimicat and it's obviously not gut related as he's pooping fine too. Not holding out much hope but he' hasn't given up yet so I'm not going to.

Only just saw this. Mega-vibes for baby Brillo. It seems so cruel that you worked so hard and they made it so far and now he's so sick :cry::cry::cry:

Back