• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Claws

emilou87

New Kit
This morning I woke up at 9am and went out to elvis's hutch to feed him and to change his water. I picked him up for a cuddle and noticed a large freshly dug hole at the back of the run. My mum had gotten up this morning at 7am and let him out for me so that he could have a wee and play. Anyway when I picked him up there was a spot of blood on his paw, i took a closer look and realised he is missing a side claw on his left paw. When I touch it he doesnt move it away or anything like that but he has ripped the claw clean out which must have been when he was digging. I have been ringing the vet non stop but there is no answer and I do not know what to do any help will be much appreciated. Thank you

Iv had this once before- try not panic, i wouldnt say it was an emergancy. It will have hurt your rabbit when he did it, and if he gets anything in it, but its most lilely just sore now rather than him being in agony.

So what we did was bathe it 3 times a day with warm (boiled then left to cool as its more sterile) water, then used savlon after each wash (my vet had previously said this was ok for minor cuts). You'll need to make sure he doesnt lick it off however, so if possible monitor him for an hour after each time. Try keep him away from little things that could get in it-like sawdust, i used paper and hay for about 4 days when my bun did it.

If it gets infected, or more swollen or red then obviously he'll need vet attention, but after a few days of doing this with mine it seemed fine, and the nail grew back with time. Hope this helps

Strawberry lost a claw a few weeks ago and we just made sure it was kept clean. As long as its stopped bleeding now and isnt causing him any pain then I would leave it to heal on its own. Just keep an eye out for infection.

My Kermit's claw fell out....he was a house bunny so was easy to keep it clean.
Id just echo what the others said, just wash it with the cooled boiled water and keep an eye on it for infection, should be fine though x

Back