• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding before neutering?

Jemadra

New Kit
Should I try to bond my pair of young un-spayed females. (A few people have told me they have done it successfully.) They seem to like each other and nuzzle a little through the bars. Or should I wait until post neuter?

Problem is one is in a large pen and the other in a cage which is smaller than I would like. i have been swapping them back and forth but hate doing it and the vet wont spay until October.

Any help greatly appreciated
:love:

If they are being neutered straight away at 6 months of age then yes you could probably bond them now as long as you are 100% sure they are both girls :lol:

I have replied on your other post to this too. :D

I have heard (and a friend of mine experienced) that bonded rabbits can start to fight when hormones kick in before they are spayed.

It can go either way.
I have bonded rabbits under about 10 weeks without problems, but I have known others who are not so lucky, and I know of one pair of 12 week old females who fought so badly that one had to be euthanased because her injuries were so severe.
If you decide to try, you will need to watch them very closely and be ready to separate at the first sign of fighting. You should also provide tunnels and hidey holes with exits so that they can get away from each other if a fight breaks out when you are not around.

I have replied on your other post to this too. :D

I have heard (and a friend of mine experienced) that bonded rabbits can start to fight when hormones kick in before they are spayed.

yeah I only just realised that. Thank you, I think you were the only one :D. I am still undecided.

I may just do a very long bonding process and put them together regularly until they are neutered but put them in separate pens at night. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

PrettyLupin has also posted on your other thread and she makes really good points. She has advised me a lot and her suggestions have always worked really well for my buns. :wave:

Back