• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would a rescue let someone with allergies volunteer? Any near Leeds/Wakefield?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
Hi
I have 3 rabbits despite my fur allergies. I can handle them, and most of the time groom them without much eye-itching and sneezing, but I do tend to be bad if I spend a lot of time grooming long haired buns.

I would love to try volunteering at a rescue (Any near Leeds/Wakefield?) but I'm worried my allergies might set me back a bit.

I can...
Help clean bowls/bottles
Groom and clip nails
Help get rabbits used to human contact
Try train rabbits for jumping (Don't know if rescues would be really up for this though)
Clean cages

I'm also happy handling different breeds (from boarding, stewarding at shows etc.)

I am unable to foster, or donate, but would love to help rescue buns.

I don't see why they wouldn't appreciate your help, just explain what you can and can't do and why. They are normally happy for anything that anyone can give.

Maybe call up all the rescues in your area and see what you can do.

Another option is, if you want to help, doing home visits if that is an option for you, because then you're helping a huge amount, but you're not actually with the buns.

BARC used a couple of volunteers last year - not that far from Wakie.

Also try Sue's rabbit rescue in Dewsbury

You can come clean my lot out whenever you want:lol: Feel free to teach them jumping. I tried after seeing Harley. Alistair was too busy asleep, & Cracker attacked the jump. The only success I had was blocking the room entrance on a night, & shaking a bowl of pellets. 7 perfect jumps. Polly wasn't having any of it:roll:

Hiya demismith you should give it a go and see what they say. I used to volunteer at a Cat and Dog home and i'm completely allergic to cats. The centre didnt mind, the onus was up to me as to what i would and wouldnt do, e.g. i didnt work with the cats, but if I'd wanted to they would have been ok with that. :)

Well there aren't really any rules for the jumping so why don't you enter some rabbits in Honley or Emley next year? :lol: Just take some pellets

At the first comp I had to guide harley over with a dandelion leaf, but I re-trained him in the few weeks between Honley (The 1st comp) and Emley (The 2nd) so that he would jump and then get the treat. I'm also going to start training Jez once I clear the garage for the jumps :roll: :lol:

Well there aren't really any rules for the jumping so why don't you enter some rabbits in Honley or Emley next year? :lol: Just take some pellets

At the first comp I had to guide harley over with a dandelion leaf, but I re-trained him in the few weeks between Honley (The 1st comp) and Emley (The 2nd) so that he would jump and then get the treat. I'm also going to start training Jez once I clear the garage for the jumps :roll: :lol:

I'm not bothered about competing tbh - & my buns would probably have a panic attack if they had to go to a show :) And I'm not big on harnesses - it was purely bribery - jump & come in & you get food

Hi
I have 3 rabbits despite my fur allergies. I can handle them, and most of the time groom them without much eye-itching and sneezing, but I do tend to be bad if I spend a lot of time grooming long haired buns.

I would love to try volunteering at a rescue (Any near Leeds/Wakefield?) but I'm worried my allergies might set me back a bit.

I can...
Help clean bowls/bottles
Groom and clip nails
Help get rabbits used to human contact
Try train rabbits for jumping (Don't know if rescues would be really up for this though)
Clean cages

I'm also happy handling different breeds (from boarding, stewarding at shows etc.)

I am unable to foster, or donate, but would love to help rescue buns.

I'm sure rescues would be more than happy for you to help. As a volunteer you have to muck in and do what you are asked to do but as you are not getting paid then I doubt you would be expected to do stuff if there is a reason such as an allergy behind why you don't feel you can do it.

Good luck with finding somewhere. I volunteer once a week and absolutely love it.

:lol: Well Harleys pretty much the same. He sometimes does the jumps when I'm not there, but when I am there he always expects a treat. The things he will do for dandelion :lol:

And I'd prefer Harley off harness, because he was going so quick I nearly had to let go, but people always have dogs with them. I've been and got one of those special dog leads that kind of unwind, and you press a button to stop it unwinding any further, so I need to get training with that :lol:

demi they would be lucky to have you
hey your welcome to get on the 36 bus and come visit me i want to know more about this bunny jumping ;)
your welcome any time hun xxxx

I know some people here who were looking for a bun to match with theirs - the Yorkshire Animal Shelter hardly had any. Quiet time??

They ended up going to Sue's Rescue in Dewsbury where they got one. They did say that Sue's place has loads of rabbits in the house in cages all up the walls. :shock: But that Sue was a lovely woman who adored the rabbits so I guess they are well treated and get to come out...? I hope?:shock:

you can come and clean out my rescues if you want ..and brush the buns ..and cuddle then etc :wave:... might be a bit far for you though ..:(

Back