• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

3 week old kit... advice really needed

mich8

Alpha Buck
Hi
Did post this in health but was advised to post here

I have a foster bun with her three kits who are 3 weeks old. All have been doing well up to now but today one of them is very lethagic and is sitting on its own.
Have spoken to my vet who says the mum has possibly rejected this one.

Is this right, if so what can i do ?????

There is a good chance that the mum could be pregnant again.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Hi

I have checked the little kit all over and can find nothing obviously wrong with it. Have kept a very close eye on it today and like I say really, it is lethargic, not really moving around like it was and I have not seen it eat today.

The vet said the mum has probably rejected it and to let nature take its course.

So I am trying to find out if this is the case or if there is something wrong.

Is the Doe calm enough for you to present the kit to her to see if the kit will suckle ?

Are you monitoring the weight of the Kits ?

The doe is not very calm at all.
I will try and sit with the doe, talk to her etc and see if I can present the kit to her.

Thanks

The doe is not very calm at all.
I will try and sit with the doe, talk to her etc and see if I can present the kit to her.

Thanks

Is there a chance that she might be pregnant again? My doe turned on her litter at about 5 wks (she got pregnant 2 wks after the 'original' babies were born) and it was because she was about to 'drop' the second litter. I only witnessed her 'turning' on one of the babies but I removed all 3 to be on the safe side.

Yes there is a chance she is pregnant again.
So I was wondering if that is the reason or there is something wrong...

If the Kit has not eaten all day and is lethargic he/she should be examined by a Vet. The kit may be in pain and dehydrated.

I am trying to find a different vet at the moment. Like I have already said, my vet was not very helpful.
My last encounter with our emergency vet was also a disaster.

Back