• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

liquid concrete vs concrete slabs

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
I have two people who have given me very reasonable quotes, one offered to do concrete slabs for £350 and the other 'liquid' concrete for £399.

Have to say I am leaning towards concrete slabs myself, not because it is cheap but because it can be moved, and is not a huge massive job to do, where as once set, the liquid concrete would be semi permenant, and a big job to rip up if we ever change our minds

What do you think

Depends what you are using it for really. We opted for slabs instead of liquid for the very same reason. Neither are completely waterproof though!

I think I'd go for slabs as they offer more 'grip' for the bunnies than liquid concrete. 'Waterproof' concrete can be particularly smooth and slippery for little furry feet.

Well I mean, the shiny stuff that is waterproof is slippy, liquid concrete and slabs aren't like that, so it wouldn't matter that way.

I find hay & stuff gets caught in the gaps between the slabs, so possibly concrete could be better. :? If slabs are laid on sand/cement mix, there's a risk of them settling over time and becoming uneven. In terms of removing it, if the slabs are laid on mortar rather than sand it's going to be just as much faff to remove. Both poured concrete or slabs are going to need a sledge hammer to shift them if firmly fixed, which can be therapeutic, although best bet is to make sure you really really want the run where you put it!

We are lying poured concrete for our runs to go on. We have the first lot down, but it is very rough, so we are now going to put down a skim of thinner stuff to stop things sticking in it. We decided to go for the poured stuff as it stays level, slabs can move and it is much less likely that grass etc will grow through it making it harder to clean.

always would be pouring concrete for me - honestly though £400? How big an area are you concreting & how deep is it? It seems very expensive to me (or are you paying someone to come & dig out and concrete for you?)

to give you an idea - I have just got a price for a concrete base of 20' x 30' of 4" deep concrete & 2" deep hardcore for stables to sit on & it came to less than £400.

I am doing all the prep work & concrete laying myself though, the concrete comes ready mixed

Back