• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Coco's poorly - urinary/kidneys?

gkf9

Warren Scout
My poor Coco. I've noticed over the last few days that he's been drinking tons more than usual and over the last couple of days he's started dribbling wee. He still goes to his tray but is randomly dripping. :(

Did loads of research on here before my vets appointment this morning and the vet (one that actually gave me confidence she was rabbit savvy, as there are 7 vets at the practice I go to, so never end up with the same one) did everything I expected. She checked his teeth and they are fine, felt his tummy which seems ok, so she's prescribed antibiotics (Baytril) in the hope it was just an infection. I took a urine sample in a couple of hours later, but they have rung to say that it's clear. He's also lost 0.2kg, but she said that may be because he has a new girlfriend and is more active.

So I'm presuming it's worse than I originally thought, I have to see if he gets better by sunday and go back on monday if not when they will do blood tests - she said it could be his kidneys but that it's unusual for such a young bun (he's about 20 months).

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share really and ask for other people's experiences - many of the threads I read about drinking lots/incontinence were just queries didn't come back with definitive answers.

PS. I asked about the possibilty it could be EC and trying Panacur but she said she'd prefer to try one medication at a time - does EC show up in urine?

Hello

It sounds suspiciously similar to a lot of incontinence problems on the forum :(

My bunny is 23 months old and we have been experiencing urine leakage for about 14 days :(

She has had various tests, xrays etc and we are waiting on a diagnosis... To answer your question regarding EC - no it will not show up in urinalysis, the test you need is a blood test called a titre test.

Hope this helps, good luck solving Coco's illness x

Honey have they tested for diabetes?? as i know these symtpoms very well from my dog and i presume they would be the same in any animal........the weight loss, the excess drinking of water and the water leaking urine. Happy to say now it is uner control and he is a happy healthy dog i do know that some folk on here have experince of diabetes in rabbits.

hope this helps

alpha

Honey have they tested for diabetes?? as i know these symtpoms very well from my dog and i presume they would be the same in any animal........the weight loss, the excess drinking of water and the water leaking urine. Happy to say now it is uner control and he is a happy healthy dog i do know that some folk on here have experince of diabetes in rabbits.

hope this helps

alpha

Hi Alpha - I should have checked what the urine test checked for but they just said it was all clear - not sure if that just means for an infection or more!?
I think the next step is blood tests if he's not better after 48 hours, although his dribbling seems to have stopped today but will monitor his drinking over weekend. Don't know how the antibiotics could have worked already, especially if there's no UTI :?

Thanks Princesscarly1978 - did they start your bun on antibiotics first before they started other tests? And did they do the tests/xrays when you first went in or as each other method had been tried?

Can only help a little - the simple urine test (paper strip) will exclude sugar diabetes, blood, excess protein, & ketones in the urine as well as ensure it is the correct alkalinity for a bunny.

Well 3 weeks on and we are still none the wiser! :?

Coco's first lot of antibiotics (5 days) seemed to do the trick, only for his incontinence to start again a couple of days later. The vet suggested a longer course as he might have an infection that may take a bit longer to clear up, so he was on Baytril again for 10 days - but incontinence was on and off throughout the course. He also had a 5 day probiotic.

So on wednesday he had his bloods taken (poor baby has a shaved neck now), it was the more detailed test that covers kidneys, liver, enzymes etc. Results should be back by monday!

A positive note is that his drinking seems back to normal - per day it's about 600ml between 2 buns instead of around 1.5 litres it had gone upto! :shock::

Back