• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bumble and Bounty's spay on weds- advice welcome!

xtine

Warren Scout
hello my 2 bonded girls will be 5 months on tues and they are bieng spayed on weds. I was just wondeing if anyone could help in what i should do/ need to do in preporation for this.
Do i need to get soft bedding? restrict their space etc and how long will this be for? any advice would be very much appreciated as this is my first experience supporting bunnies through this:wave:
thank you xtine x

Hi I had three of mine spayed earlier in the year ( right in the middle of the hot spell!) 2 at 6 months old and one at 3 years. Rightly or wrongly I put them back in their usual accomodation so it was all familiar and less stressful. My key tip would be to keep a close eye on them and watch for them starting to eat again - should be within 24hours. The vets were great and gave me lots of instructions and had offered them food before they came home. With pro biotics and instructions to keep a close eye on them so there were no problems with GI stasis.

I would recommned you have some sort of nutritional support in eg supreme recovery/ critical care etc/fibreplex and not be afraid to supplement syringe feed if needed. They all recovered well and removed the stitches themselves

Good luck

well keep feeding you dont starve buns before ops. They will be very groggy for few hours sometimes even into next day so dont panic too much try and encourage eating but they may not be bothered the same day. We always have weetabix on hand as its easy to get hold of and you can mush it with warm water and buns love it, its only for a day so dont worry our vet doesnt mind at all as its just to keep the digestive tract going.
Keep wounds clean if you notice anything bad ring vet.
But to be honest buns are hardy little creatures its us thats wimps for them Winston was bouncing all over after his neuter and angel bless had been rescued, spayed, tummy tuck, eye flushed and antibiotics and flea treated or and myxi jab then came to us all within a week and she was absolutley fine so to speak!

thank you i agree its me thats the wimp:oops: ill prob be back nearer the time with more precise questions if you dont mind:wave:

Back