• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please Help! URGENT

TeddyTeds

Young Bun
my rabbit is usually well and bombing about everywhere but today all he seems to be doing is lying down. He keeps getting up and lying down again like he is uncomfortable. He isn't eating. (not even his fave treats) and he isn't drinking. he hasn't gone to the loo today but he went in his litter tray earlier and came out and he hadn't done anything at all!
I have given him some fibreplex and he isn't panting as much.
I've got some science selective at home should i start force feeding him???
im worried he might go into gut stasis if i dont do something to help him quickly.
we lost our other rabbit this year. She had gut stasis on several occasions:(
she was at the vetenary hospital on her last occasion but she still died despite their interventions. unfortunatly we dont have alot of faith in our vets as they failed to diagnose her gut stasis untill it was too late.

Your Rabbit MUST be seen by a Vet ASAP

Please do not delay contacting a Vet as your Rabbit is clearly in pain and in need of professional attention

He sounds to me like he could have gas either in his stomach or intestines and therefore is in pain. Force feeding him is a definite no at the moment, partly because of the possible gas but the gas could be building up because of a blockage. You really need a vet to check for blockages/gas before considering supportive feeding. I know how feel about not having much faith in vets as I've been there but I really would recommend getting your bunny to a vets ASAP as he needs a painkiller and possibly other medication to relieve his symptoms ASAP. If the symptoms he's got aren't treated he's much more likely to go into stasis.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

Edit to add: Pain could be caused by something completely different like cystitis (could be a possibility as going to tray but not doing anything) but a vet would need to assess this

Last edited:
If he is panting this is serious he needs to get to a vet NOW, I would NOT forcefed.

do you have any metacam (pain relief)

What we do as soon as Biscuit stops eating is the following:

Give her some metacam (check you know the right doseage), some infacol 1ml and some zantac 0.5ml.

We put a heated pad besides her, and massage her tummy, also tempt her to eat with herbs, herbal tea (boiled and cooled) and wet dandillions.

But if bunny is panting that is not good at all.

You need to find a rabbit savvy vets, maybe someone on here knows one in your area, but in the meantime you need him to be seen by someone quickly.

Good luck

thx for all replies
i will take him to the vet as soon as it opens.
will keep you updated.
at the minute he is hopping about a bit more but he is still not drinking, eating, or pooing.
I wont force feed him unless the vet says
but thx for all of your help

Good luck at vets, if he deteriorates further just go to the vet immediately whether you're early or not and insist he is seen as an emergency.
Getting up and lying down repeatedly to me sounds like gas in his abdomen - this can swell up his tummy and push on his chest cavity making it harder for him to breathe. If he is panting then don't put anything in his mouth forcefully, if his breathing is calmer I would suggest some infacol or gripe water (1ml) whilst you wait for the vet and a gentle tummy rub. Encouraging him to hop around and tempting him with a few treats or strongly scented herbs in the meantime can also encourage a bun to eat. It does sound like bloat and stasis but this can have an underlying primary cause which is why full exam is needed. Hopefully your vets will provide immediate pain relief and supportive fluids and any other drugs required. Good luck :)

Sorry I've not been on until now. We took TeddyTeds to the vet and they x-rayed him straightaway - no sign of bloat or impaction. The vet says his tummy is tender and his GI is shutting down but thankfully we noticed quickly there was a problem. He has been put on a drip and is being syringe fed and has had "all the meds he can have". I know he has pain relief cos I asked them to give him some straightaway, he is on infacol, zantac, metacam, metaclopramide from what I remember. We went back to the vets at 6.30pm cos we missed him so much and gave him lots of nose strokes and tummy massages. The vets now team are on tonight and we should ring at 10am to see how he is. He was very quiet, but didn't look as uncomfortable, he looked sleepy though. We miss him dreadfully :( He usually sits on the stairs at this sort of time at night to go to bed - he sleeps under our bed at night :) Thankyou for everyones kind words, I felt so helpless when we noticed he wasn't right at midday, I phoned the vets and they were shut for lunch, I just felt helpless waiting not knowing what to do for the best :(

Sending lots of healing vibes to TeddyTeds and hope he gets well soon. Try not to worry he is getting the best care now. x

Your vet is giving 1st. class treatment. You did brilliantly getting your bun to the vet so fast. Personally, I'm convinced that that is the key to a rapid recovery.
I know that the house seems kind of empty without our buns. Try to get some sleep tonight eh?
Everything crossed for poops & eating tonight.

Back