• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Costs of owning a continental giant?

Hello :wave:
I am looking for some insight into what monthly cost I should prepare myself for with one of these beauties. Especially the food side of things, because from what I have read so far it sounds like a conti will eat you out of house and home :roll:
Also what is the best thing to do about hay? At the moment I get my hay from pets at home (which i hate doing, grrrr) as there isn't a huge amount of pet places where I live, except small private shops who charge quite a lot for only small amounts. So I am paying the best part of £5 for there biggest bag of hay they do. I live in Grimsby if anyone knows of a place. Thanks for your help guys ;)

Hello :wave:
I am looking for some insight into what monthly cost I should prepare myself for with one of these beauties. Especially the food side of things, because from what I have read so far it sounds like a conti will eat you out of house and home :roll:
Also what is the best thing to do about hay? At the moment I get my hay from pets at home (which i hate doing, grrrr) as there isn't a huge amount of pet places where I live, except small private shops who charge quite a lot for only small amounts. So I am paying the best part of £5 for there biggest bag of hay they do. I live in Grimsby if anyone knows of a place. Thanks for your help guys ;)

hiya :wave:

Have you got enough space to store a bale of hay? Cheapist and best hay comes from horsey shops :) thats where i get mine but we have horses too so i pinch it from their supply :)

Conti's need a shed/playhouse because they grow so big unless you have them as a housebunny. Id also suggest if they arent a housebunny you have a neutered male/female pair like all buns they love company. You costs are obviously hay, pellets, toys and veg. They need a secure run to play in that would have to be big for contis! There are a few that come up in recues so you'd pay a donation fee towards neutering and vacc costs. They need vhd annually and myxi every 6 months, vhd is normally about £20 myxi about £15.... think i have that costing the right way round... bunnies are expensive but very worth it!!! :D

contis eat a dog food dish worth of food per day so it is wise to buy food by the sack trust me it will last longer that pet shop size bags of food if buying food by the sack it would cost from £10 per month to feed a conti depending what food your feeding , pm me if you decide to get one i can put you in touch with a trusted local breeder to you if your in yorkshire i will have litters very soon
never buy one from a pet shop you will be totally ripped off and charged a fortune last one i saw in pet shop was £200 that and you dont know the breed history, contis can suffer heart problems and it is inherrited so best to know its breeding back ground
if you get one from a breeder it will cost you £70 for a showable conti ;)
oh and remember contis only live 4 years although pet shops will tell you they live 8 lol

Back