• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why is she doing this?

Nicolaj36

Warren Scout
I posted in a different thread about Snowdrop being in her new hutch but not using the ramp, well, now she is covering up the hole leading to the ramp! :?

First time it happened i thought it was coincidence, she had pulled all her hay through from her bed and covered the gap, so i moved it a little because i didn't want her not realising the gap was there and fallin down it, but she moved it back!

There is currently, hay, half a yellow pages, and a jingle ball covering it up! :lol:

Why would she do this?

Nicola x

Maybe it makes her feel insecure, like you would if you tried to sleep at night with the back door open xx

I agree with lillbun.
I'm really not being facetious suggesting that rock bottom she "doesn't like it", very likely she feels insecure, & possibly because it's a new experience & she has yet to learn the purpose of the ramp & it's benefits. You may have to teach her to use it.
It may actually be more secure to make a piece of replacement floor or hutch (if there isn't any) & bolt it in place on the outside so there are no sharp points on the inside, so you can remove the ramp in the evening/overnight board up the hutch. There's a remarkable amount of "night life". We may know our buns are safe, but some have still got their wild instincts, & frighten easily.

Last edited:
Thanks guys :)

Never realised. She is goin to be inside for the weekend as she is gettin spayed this mornin, but once she's back in her hutch i will use the piece that came with the hutch for closin off the hole. Will only remove it when tryin to teach her to use the ramp. :roll:

Nicola x

Loads of good luck for the spay today.
Don't know much about hutch & ramps - worth checking there's enough space for her to get down.
Hey don't do what I did once - put the ramp in wrong side up - Thumper gracefully slid down & gave me the strangest look :lol::lol::lol::lol:

He started to get anxious when cats learned there was a blind spot at the side - they could ambush him in his run. Bunnies don't see very well & don't realize that the mesh is a barrier. Problem solved by turning the hutch & run round a bit. All sorts of things could be going on -at least you've got some ideas to work on.

Last edited:
Some bunnies just don't get on with ramps. You could try removing the ramp and replacing it with a high box (or two as a stepping stone) underneath the hole. Many bunnies are much happier with this arrangement than with the ramp and quickly learn to jump up and down via the box.

If you keep swapping between having it closed off and opening it to teach her how to use it, I suspect you will just end up with a distressed bunny and possibly an injury as she won't get used to whether the hole is there or not.

Good luck :)

my doe loves her ramp and charges up and down it, but as others have said some buns just don`t like them, my guinea pigs don`t like them either.:)

Thanks Thumps_ Just got her back from the vet at 5 o clock. She's quite sleepy but has had a little nibble at some greens, so fingers crossed! :)

Thanks Santa, will try the high box when she's recovered and see if she prefers it. So would you advise leavin the opening uncovered all the time?

Nicola x

Back