• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not a good vet visit! U/D Advice on what to do...

LoopyLouie

Wise Old Thumper
I've just this second got back from taking Wilm and Bertie for their myxy jabs and I am not impressed!

Firstly because Bertie has lost 500g! Could this be the stress of a spay/bond? The vet says she by no means underweight but I was shocked :( They have unlimited hay, a big bowl of fresh veg and a handful of pellets each every day - Wilm has put weight on! Do I need to feed them separately seen as she's a Frenchie and give her more?

The next and worst thing was she (not the normal savvy vet, she's off sick :roll:) took Bertie out of her carrier and examined her, well to be fair, then gave her the jab incorrectly, not leaving any on the surface, I mentioned this and she said it was fine, she had done this but in one swift motion :roll: THEN, she took Wilm out, who was quite nervous and checked him over - again, all fine, went to get his jab and stuck it in Bertie!! So Bertie got 2 jabs! I immediately panicked and said OMG will she be okay and they vet said she would be fine then went to get another one for Wilm, laughing, and saying she better get it right this time as it was the last one in stock!

I'm still shocked :shock: Will Bertie be ok???

Last edited:
OMG how could she do the same rabbit twice that is unforgivable :shock: Hopefully she will be fine but I would keep a really close eye on her and write a letter of complaint to the practice manager.

It is possible that the injection was given correctly most vets do it in "one swift motion" with part of it still going into the skin. But given her other mistakes I can see it wouldn't fill you with confidence:?

Crikey, its all fun and games ay?!
I should think Bertie will be fine, assuming he has no other medical conditions. The worst that would happen would be a localised reaction at the injection site, and they can be severe but arent very common.

Just to note, lots of vets inject under and into the skin in one movement - its takes time and practice and is hard to see as an observer - so if thats what she says she did then i'd believe her.

Thank you, you have reassured me, it was just that she did it so quickly, it didn't even look like she was looking, maybe she's just really experienced. I'll keep an eye on her, she doesn't have any other problems, except the weight loss.

:shock::shock::shock::shock:

OMG how could she do the same rabbit twice that is unforgivable :shock: Hopefully she will be fine but I would keep a really close eye on her and write a letter of complaint to the practice manager.

Definitely complain, and how could she be so flippant about it!!

Hi everyone,

I was thinking about this last night and I don't know what to do for the best. I've been very happy with my vets but I do feel this needs to be brought to attention. Would you go in and have a quiet word with someone explaining that I don't want to see her again? I don't want to cause too much of a fuss but this could have been bad!

OMG hat's awful - how on earth could she not realise she was injecting the same bun! :shock:

If it was me I would ring & ask to speak with the practice manager, explain what's happened & ask it to be noted that you do not want to see this vet again.

We've got one of the vets at our practice that we refuse to see after she refused to listen to us & wanted to put Wilson our headtilt bunny to sleep :( Granted we knew he was really poorly, but didn't want to give up on too soon. Safe to say we were right & our little man is still with us going strong :D I complained to the head nurse in our case, as we have a really good relationship with him.

You don't have to see her again if you don't want to....theres a couple of vets at the practice I use who I wouldn't see with my bunnies if I can possibly help it so I wouldn't be worried about being choosy!

Back