• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bladder problem

Brennan

Alpha Buck
I just wanted to see what experience people have with bladder problems...

I have been reading the thread about biscuit and I had a lightbulb moment.

I thought Lily's problem was her faeces, as the liquid was dark brown, after another episode of a soaking wet tail I think its her bladder and the more I read about it the more I am convinced.

Her diet included a lot of Kale, and herbs and dark veg prior to two weeks ago, I didn't realise they should be given sparingly because of the high calcium content. I have modified their veg to include, green, cabbage and that seemed to help. However last night they had curly parsley and this morning I noticed Lily had a 'dirty bottom'

She is bright white so it looked extreme I took her down stairs and cleaned her up, she wasn't too happy about that. In herself she is 'happy' eating, drinking, and begging it's just this reoccurring problem :(

We are going to the vets at 3pm but I want to know if I should ask for an X-ray on her bladder?

If it is bladder sludge how is this diagnosed?

I feel like this is all my fault :cry:

They should be able to tell how bad her urine is from taking a sample. They should also test for blood in her urine as she could well have a urinary tract infection. If this is the case they should prescribe antibiotics, and pain relief. If her urine is sludgy then she will need pain relief anyway.

I would think they would see how she responeded to these meds and a change in diet before going ahead with an x-ray, but this is only a guess from what you have posted.

Timmy responded really well to medication and diet change and never needed to go for further tests :)

Good luck and keep us posted :wave:

Parsley is high in calcium too so that could be why she was affected this morning. Hope the vets manage to sort her out xx

thanks guys... I've been thinking over her diet and I keep thinking of things that would also cause bladder problems, the bunnies love alfalfa as well they don't have much/have it often but that is very high in calcium *sigh*

I have a fox trying to get to my outdoor buns, and a poorly Lily I am about ready to leave home :lol:

It's all my fault for going back to bed this morning for a lay in after I had fed the bunnies

I have found lots of old threads about calcium/bladder problems, which has really helped, I have to ask about the hay they eat:

What are the calcium levels in: Burns Oat Hay, Orchard Grass, Brome Hay... think those are all they have

Try not to blame yourself, it might be nothing to do with what you are feeding them.

Artie's history may have been one of the threads you've read as his issues were recent. I've been told in Artie's case that he may just have a predisposition to bladder problems. High calcium food *may* (and only may) exacerbate his problems but probably did not cause them. It's definitely worth changing to improve any symptoms.

In Artie's case he was never incontinent or covered in wee - he has always been really clean in that regard. His symptoms started being obvious when he got an infection due to the calcium meaning he couldn't empty his bladder properly and he was reluctant to wee (presumably it hurt too much).

There's loads you can do for your bunny if calcium is the problem, the diagnosis being the first step.

Good luck and keep us informed.

I'm not sure about any of the foods you've listed but I've avoided green oat hay, because wheat, oat and barley are high in phosphous (not sure why it's harmful but should be avoided if bunny has calcium/bladder problems)

thanks guys... I've been thinking over her diet and I keep thinking of things that would also cause bladder problems, the bunnies love alfalfa as well they don't have much/have it often but that is very high in calcium *sigh*

I have a fox trying to get to my outdoor buns, and a poorly Lily I am about ready to leave home :lol:

It's all my fault for going back to bed this morning for a lay in after I had fed the bunnies

I have found lots of old threads about calcium/bladder problems, which has really helped, I have to ask about the hay they eat:

What are the calcium levels in: Burns Oat Hay, Orchard Grass, Brome Hay... think those are all they have

I just wanted to say I was never saying it was your fault in my post, like Bunny buddy says, some bunnies are predisposed to bladder problems. I was just saying that a lot of bladder problems can be manged successfully through modifications in diet :D

I know Liz - I blame myself for everything :oops:

Thanks for all the replies, the vet wants to admit her for tests tomorrow, it's been confirmed as urine, so it's either a bladder problem or EC :cry:

I had a good old cry on the way home, it's been ongoing now for 14 days so tomorrow will be a long day but I know we will get a diagnosis

I just feel a bit sorry for myself (and Lily) why do all my animals get poorly :cry: :cry:

Above all please don't feel guilty. I'm noticing that "sludge" seems to be commoner in warm humid weather. Simple changes to diet are certainly the 1st. step and will hopefully work.

The other aspect which is beginning to be recognized more, is that some buns are mildly dehydrated with the weather, so they don't make enough wee to dissolve the normal calcium. Dandelion & wild chervil [cow parsley} are natural diuretics - make them wee more. We always gave our buns a small amount of dandelion & cow parsley, years ago.
You need to be careful that your bun can drink plenty - teeth OK - before taking this additional route, which may be best discussed with your vet.

All the best & please let us know how you get on - goodness are my fingers & toes crossed it isn't ec. !!!!!

Thanks for asking Thumps

we have had a long day, she has had a pretty bad episode of incontinence today :cry: I have washed her this morning which she didn't appreciate, her legs are a bit sore as well from the blood tests... she seems to be 'coping' hates her medication bless her but thankfully she is eating and drinking which is the main thing, she feels so frail bless her and she has lost weight, what can I give her to build her up a little?

So sorry for the delay.
Some people advise giving a teaspoon of oats moistened with warm water to help weight gain.
How are things? Any news yet?

Oats.. Ok I will have to try that, she can be a little fussy bless her

we are still medicating twice a day, the incontinence does seems to be less frequent, but we are still awaiting the test results, I am hoping they will be in tomorrow

Back