• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I always pick them up by the scruff...

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Am I cruel ? I didnt realise until the other thread that it was wrong.

I grab their scruff then support their bum .

I cant get them any other way......... have i been hurting them? I feel so guilty..............

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::(:(:(:(:(:(:(

It is acceptable to pick up a rabbit by the scruff and support the bum - you must support the bum.

I'm a Vet Nurse and ALL the books say it is acceptable. However, i personally do not pick a rabbit up in this way as i prefer to hold them close to me (less likely to wriggle and cause injury). it makes the rabbit feel safer and i'm not personally a fan of scruffing. The only time i would do it is if a rabbit was trying to run away and i needed to grab it for its own safety. Sometimes my own bunnies have gotten themselves stuck in gaps or wedged themselves in places and ive had no choice but to pick them up by their scruff to get them out or stop them hurting themselves.

Scruffing is NOT cruel, but there are nicer menthods of handling, in my opinion.

It is acceptable to pick up a rabbit by the scruff and support the bum - you must support the bum.

I'm a Vet Nurse and ALL the books say it is acceptable. However, i personally do not pick a rabbit up in this way as i prefer to hold them close to me (less likely to wriggle and cause injury). it makes the rabbit feel safer and i'm not personally a fan of scruffing. The only time i would do it is if a rabbit was trying to run away and i needed to grab it for its own safety. Sometimes my own bunnies have gotten themselves stuck in gaps or wedged themselves in places and ive had no choice but to pick them up by their scruff to get them out or stop them hurting themselves.

Scruffing is NOT cruel, but there are nicer menthods of handling, in my opinion.

Thanks, I only do it momentarily then pull them immediately to my chest- I dont carry them this way- just pick them up straight to my chest with one hand under the bum and another pulling their upper back towards me but in the right place to grab the scruff again if they wiggle

To be honest, if this is the way you are comfortable with, then stick with it. You will not hurt your rabbits and by changing what you do, you may be nervous and unconfident and your rabbit might wiggle from you hands or injure itself. What you're doing is not wrong - how do almost all mammals carry their young around? - scruff of the neck. We've all seen wildlife films of mothers moving their young by the scruff.

To be honest, if this is the way you are comfortable with, then stick with it. You will not hurt your rabbits and by changing what you do, you may be nervous and unconfident and your rabbit might wiggle from you hands or injure itself. What you're doing is not wrong - how do almost all mammals carry their young around? - scruff of the neck. We've all seen wildlife films of mothers moving their young by the scruff.

Thankyou

you have helped- i was panicking after that other thread- they never seem in pain or anything- Earl is a big heavier so i will try to adapt a better method for him but my nethie and my dutch are light and used to it.

Thanks again

Jem

Sorry to disagree but it is not acceptable to pick a rabbit up this way..it is a method that should only be used as a last resort..for example a very aggressive rabbit that for some reason HAS to be picked up..

Try to get used to handling your own bunnies the proper way "bum and tum"..= a hand under each:D the more confident you are the easier it is:D

Sorry to disagree but it is not acceptable to pick a rabbit up this way..it is a method that should only be used as a last resort..for example a very aggressive rabbit that for some reason HAS to be picked up..

Try to get used to handling your own bunnies the proper way "bum and tum"..= a hand under each:D the more confident you are the easier it is:D

I agree...there is not need to do it like that.

a rabbit is not ever scruffed in the wild (as kittens and puppies are) unless it's being carried off by a predator... so I don't think it's right to do it to them - it might be the easiest way, but it's not the best in terms of their welfare - it'd be a bit like picking a rat/mouse up by it's tail :)

Sorry but ive got to agree with the above three posts. I imagine it must be uncomfortable being picked up by your skin!! (if your not intended by nature to be handled this way like a kitten or puppy).

The thought never even crossed my mind to scruff my rabbits, I wouldn't even scruff my cat.

At least though cats have got that loose bit of skin on the neck which means you could scruff them but rabbits haven't even got that.

when i was at college i was taught that picking up by the scruff of the neck (and obviously supporting teh bum with teh other hand) was the correct way of restraining a rabbit.

i dont think it hurts (unless done incorrectly) i think it places them in a trance (not sure if thats teh right word) like it does with cats.

when Crystal was really young and before she was spayed the only way i could pick her up was by the scruff or i got slashed open (litrally) if i tried any other way!

you will obviously get mixed feelings about this.

Back