• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Wormers?

I noticed that Fiver and Helli were losing weight quite quickly, so off I went to the vets this afternoon, and I was told to worm them, which I haven't yet due to their age and size, neither are over 10 weeks, and both only weigh 500g each
Bought Panacur today, where does everyone else buy theirs from, and do you buy it in bulk?
I need 12 lots, and at £6.50 each, it's gonna sting a bit :lol:
Is Panacur the best to use, or is there anything better?
Thankssss:wave:

I use Panacur liquid (10% strength) - the dose is 0.2ml per kg of bun. It's around £13 for 100ml and I can do four big bunnies for 28 days with one bottle of that. By far the cheapest and IMO easiest option.

Lapizole is fine for small bunnies but you need to give them such a large amount of liquid - my 3.5kg bun needed 7 'pumps' of the stuff which was an enormous amount of liquid - it just dribbled out of her mouth and we wasted most of it.

Panacur paste for rabbits is good but expensive compared to the liquid.

I didnt know i had to worm Jose :oops:

How long would one of these last for Jose (she's only small):

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?number=PANACURRAB&variation=

How many days do you need to give it for? I have no idea how to worm a rabbit :oops:

The tube contains 15 syringe graduations and you give 1 graduation per 2.5kg of bunny. So if your bunny weighed less than 2.5kg, you'd give one syringe graduation daily for 28 days. If your bun weighed more than 2.5kg and up to 5kg, you'd give two syringe graduations daily for 28 days.

The 28 day treatment is definatly reccommended now so it would be cheaper to get it in liquid form as Mackers said due to the cost of the paste. You also need to disinfect their area on the 21st and 28th day of your course of wormer.

If your rabbit will eat it off some food happily this is the easiest way to worm but our naughtly lot would rather not so we syringed all 4. I quite like worming but then again we don't have any buns that put up a big fight :oops: :D

I'm sure there's quite a few threads if you searching worming on the health page :wave:

I thought it was daily for 9 days to worm, and daily for 28 days to treat EC? Am I just being a ditz? :oops:

I normally buy the panacur paste from vetuk :)

I never knew the whole 28 day course was needed for normal worming... its still advised by our vet to do 9 days only.

I buy the paste from vets uk as the paste is £3.50ish there.

When Autumn died I was advised ony 9 days, even though I told her I suspected it was E.C. Think I will be going for the 28 days, as Charlie has improved so much, I can't believe the difference in him, he is now gaining weight and is more livelier, but still sad if you see what I mean. Other two are as sprighly as ever.

Last edited:
I've never wormed my rabbits, is it a common thing for rabbits to get worms?

The worming them every day for 28 days sounds like hell to me, my rabbits would be way to stressed for that, I don't even think they would cope with me handling them for 9 day. I wonder if you could inject the wormer into some fruit, rasins maybe, and trick them?

vet uk is the best place. I actually use the dog/cat syring as it's slightly cheaper and can be bought in bulk. Lapizol is difficult to adminster in any other than smaller buns as it has to be pumbed in which they are reluctand to do. otherwise syringing the liquid is ok if yours don't mind being handled.

How long does the liquid last?? - as in sell by date??

I only have the one bun with me and if it doesnt last a whole year then perhaps I should send it to a rescue??

Im in the process of worming Rimmi.... we've had 5 days so far and he really doesnt seem to like the paste so was thinking of switching to the liquid.... would this upset his tummy??

MANY THANKS!!

Rimmi is on his Panacur month.... he has it every evening and then has his pellets straight after to get rid of the taste... and then he sulks in his Magners box for half hour :lol:

100_0930.jpg

Can you see his little nose?

Hopefully he'll have forgotten before he comes to your household and he wont swear at your buns :p

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Buns eh? Sometimes they just dont know whats good for 'em!!

Back