• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jose booked in for her spay on 02/10/09

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
...and now im nervous and worried about it :(

I've booked it for a Friday so that I've got the weekend to keep an eye on her. Do I just need to keep her quiet and warm until she perks up? Do i need to give her any painkillers?

...and now im nervous and worried about it :(

I've booked it for a Friday so that I've got the weekend to keep an eye on her. Do I just need to keep her quiet and warm until she perks up? Do i need to give her any painkillers?

The vet will most likely prescribe painkillers for her anyway, especially seen as it's on a Friday. I think they should anyway. She just needs a quiet, warm and comfortable place to recover with soft bedding so it doesn't irritate her wound. You need to make sure she's eating, drinking and pooing :)

I hope you don't mind me suggesting this, but our vets wont do routine op on a friday because they are shut most of the weekend which is a problem if the bunny takes a while to recover. I always try to book routine ops for the begining of the week so that the vets are more likely to be open if we need them or the bunny needs to stay in:)

If your vet offers 24 hour emergency service then obviously there isn't a problem :D

Just thought it was something to consider :wave:

I hope you don't mind me suggesting this, but our vets wont do routine op on a friday because they are shut most of the weekend which is a problem if the bunny takes a while to recover. I always try to book routine ops for the begining of the week so that the vets are more likely to be open if we need them or the bunny needs to stay in:)

If your vet offers 24 hour emergency service then obviously there isn't a problem :D

Just thought it was something to consider :wave:

I was going to suggest the same. :)

I booked Alfie in for a Friday, thinking it would be better having the weekend at home to keep an eye on him. It wasn't until the time that I thought I might have been better off booking it for earlier in the week, so I wouldn't have to rely on the emergency vet (and their dearer rates :shock:) if there was a problem. Bubbles was spayed on a Monday. ;)

There may well be no problems - neither of mine needed any follow up vet visits but it's something to keep in mind.

Just keep her quiet and warm after the op - she may not feel up to much the first evening and probably won't eat hardly anything either but just keep tempting her with tasty treats. If she hasn't eaten by the following morning, that would warrant a call to the vet.

Just to add that some vets will not let the bunnies home until they are eating and pooing so if she hasn't done this by lunch time on Saturday and that is when the vet shuts she will have to be transfered to the emergency vets if it is at a seperate location, which could be stressful for her and expensive :?

If she is done at the beginning of the week then at least she can stay where she is until she is able to come home :)

The vet will most likely prescribe painkillers for her anyway, especially seen as it's on a Friday. I think they should anyway. She just needs a quiet, warm and comfortable place to recover with soft bedding so it doesn't irritate her wound. You need to make sure she's eating, drinking and pooing :)

Thanks for the reply :D

She has her own room, but would it be worth confining (sp?) her to her indoor cage (that she just uses as a base currrently)?

I was going to suggest the same. :)

I booked Alfie in for a Friday, thinking it would be better having the weekend at home to keep an eye on him. It wasn't until the time that I thought I might have been better off booking it for earlier in the week, so I wouldn't have to rely on the emergency vet (and their dearer rates :shock:) if there was a problem. Bubbles was spayed on a Monday. ;)

There may well be no problems - neither of mine needed any follow up vet visits but it's something to keep in mind.

Just keep her quiet and warm after the op - she may not feel up to much the first evening and probably won't eat hardly anything either but just keep tempting her with tasty treats. If she hasn't eaten by the following morning, that would warrant a call to the vet.

This is why i booked it for the friday, now i dont know what to do. If i book it for the monday will i need to stay off work for the Tuesday to keep an eye on her or will she be ok on her own?

Thanks for the reply :D

She has her own room, but would it be worth confining (sp?) her to her indoor cage (that she just uses as a base currrently)?

I think I was told to keep Spice in her cage for a few days so that she can't run around and potentially open herself up and catch it on anything. The vet will normally advice you about this before and after the operation :D I also had to put paper down as the bedding rather than her normal stuff.

Think I had Spice speyed early in the week but then again I work weekends so worked well for me either way. If you can get time off then I'd go with the mon/tues option (gives you peace of mind and few days to relax with Jose :D )

Thats the day after my OH's birthday :)

Are your vets open on a Sunday morning? I wouldnt have a problem with any of our buns being neutered on a Friday as our vets are open Sat and Sun mornings... if your vets are shut over the weekend, i would move it foward to earlier in the week. Everything will probably be ok, but if she decides not to eat, or doesnt poo etc she will need to go back for more meds... if you have to take her to out of hours it will cost you a fortune :(

Generally i keep an eye on the bunnies the day they come home and the following day, i normally put them in an indoor cage on fleece blankets and vetbed, hay will irritate the wound, so she will need her hay in a hay rack. Get her favourite veggies in to tempt her to eat, offer her water in a bowl as after the op they are normally thirsty and can lap up more water from a bowl :) Id keep her confined to the cage for a good 2 days, to make sure she doesnt over stretch herself

Hope this helps a little :) Im sure she will be fine hun, a spey is a routine op and of all the foster buns ive had done ive never had any problems :) xXx

Back