• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My 'diet' post a while ago (no veg) .... (update)

happypreso

Alpha Buck
Just to say that I am working on cutting down the pellets and increasing the veg and so far all is good! My bunny that used to get the runny poo's seems to be fine - they have all had ... kale, watercress, greens, spring greens & brocolli on top of the normal hay & herbs and not one runny poo in sight! I used to feed them carrots and cuecumber a bit so am assuming that the greens are okay and that 'other' food might be the problem?

Anyway, I am carrying on slowly cutting down the pellets and introducing new veg ... am sticking to the 'green' stuff though as like I say this seems to be okay for them all .... just thought I would post an update for you and thank you again for the replying and putting me in the right direction x

I'm glad things are improving in the poo department :wave:

I hope you don't mind me pointing out that Kale, watercress and broccolli are all very high in calcium content, so I would be careful not to feed too much of them in one go :)

Can Kale because its high in Calcium help cause tooth problems?

High levels of calcium can affect the thickness of the urine, sludge can build up in the bladder making the urine very thick and difficult to pass. Also too much calcium can cause kidney stones :)

High levels of calcium can affect the thickness of the urine, sludge can build up in the bladder making the urine very thick and difficult to pass. Also too much calcium can cause kidney stones :)

I would just add spinach to that list as well, but my buns love them! I just do those a few times a week. :wave:

Yes spinach is high in calcium too, I was just picking out the ones in the list given by the OP :wave:

You're too clever, Liz. :oops:

Now I feel like the random crazy throwing in wild comments. "ALSO, DON'T FEED UR BUNNIE BALLOONS. BAD 4 THERE DIGESTION!" :lol:

But what about if you don't feed pellets or in my case a few "mature" pellets tha thave less calcium anyway. You get a bit more leeway?

Well done for sorting their poo. It's a bit of a faff but definitely worth it so you don't have to be paranoid about flystrike nd can be a bit more certain they are getting all the nutrients they need.

Back