• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ruby been to vets

Jan

Warren Scout
Ruby has been back to the vets this week as the dreaded Snuffles has reared its ugly head! This has put back her date for her spay, the vet has recommened not to bond her with another bun in the future as she maybe a carrier.She is bonded with Joe at the moment, he is now 10yrs old when he is no longer with us (dreading the day) does this mean the poor Ruby will have to live on her own? I do hope not I always like my buns bonded. Joe had a check-up recently and the vet said he was in very good health for a bun of his age. I know it`s a terrible thing to talk about but I wondered if anyonelse has had this dilemma.
bunnies2009047.jpg
http://
[IMG]http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac261/petshopgirl/bunnies2009048.jpg

Well if I took your Vets advice I'd have quite a few Buns destined to a life of solitude :? :cry:

Most Rabbits carry one of the many strains ao Pasteurella, the group of bacteria often involved in cases of Snuffles. But symptoms may never develope as Bun's immune system keeps ontop of the infection. Symptoms may present at times of stress or when the Bun is fighting a concurrent illness.

IMO (unqualified of course) I see no reason why Ruby should not have another Bunny friend sometime in the future. I would probably opt for doing introductions when she is asymptomatic.

Has your Vet looked at possible causes for Ruby's Snuffles flare ups ?

My Mollykins has snuffles and her symptoms have really calmed down recently, so now she is bonded with another snuffly rabbit I found on here.
Its a risk of course that they could make each other worse, but its worth it seeing them so in love. :love:

Thank you for your replies I just love them both so much and worry about trying to keep them as happy as possible. Thanks again!

Hi Jan:wave: I'd ignore that advice from your vet and find Ruby a friend when the time comes. Agree with Jane's advice about finding her a friend when she's not showing any symptoms. Also, there are probably lots of buns in rescue with snuffles symptoms. You could always try finding her a snuffly friend:D I've had bunnies with snuffles living with bunnies with no symptoms and they've not picked it up from the snuffly bun.

Thanks Sue panic over, just the worry of when she goes to be spayed but will worry about that when it happens.:shock:

Thanks Sue panic over, just the worry of when she goes to be spayed but will worry about that when it happens.:shock:

If you've got a good bunny vet Jan, she should be fine. Obviously, there's always a risk with an op but try not to worry too much. I've had a rabbit have a hind limb amputation and she had pnuemonia (sp?) but came through fine. I've also has snuffly buns speyed and they've been fine. The trick is to make sure you've got a good bunny savvy vet.

Back