• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

introducing veg at what age?

Louie is 11 weeks and has veg!

I've always fed mine veg from when I got them at 10 weeks.

I'm probably wrong though so don't take what I say as the right advice :oops:

I think some people suggest leaving it until they're 6 months old. I gave Piglet & Eeyore veg from about 10 weeks though, I just introduced it really slowly and they were fine

mine have had veg since 10 weeks, you just have to introduce it slowly and give a little bit or they could get tummy aches etc. dont give a huge variety just a teensy bit of greens etc :)

G + P have had veg since they were 8 weeks old. I don't think it matters as long as you increase amouunts very gradually, and never introduce more than one new food at a time.

Just wondered if rabbits had to have fresh greens or can they manage just as well on pellets (limited) unlimited hay. Naturals treats such as carrot wood roll, Hay roll, herbal garden treat, healthy fruit salad, nature snack - dandelion - mint etc

There is much more nutrition in fresh vegetables than in the treats which are, after all, processed products.

I've always fed veg and fruit to mine with a small amount of pellets, plenty of hay and they also free range on grass/leaves/my plants! all day.

Just wondered if rabbits had to have fresh greens or can they manage just as well on pellets (limited) unlimited hay. Naturals treats such as carrot wood roll, Hay roll, herbal garden treat, healthy fruit salad, nature snack - dandelion - mint etc

Having fresh veg also helps keep their teeth worn down. Pellets make bunnies use a crunching rather than a grinding motion with their teeth which doesn't wear them down at all. Hay obviously is the best thing for rabbits to grind their teeth and therefore keep them worn down, but veg is the next best thing for a grinding motion :)

I didn't know it was to keep their teeth worn down I just thought it was cos it was good for them :oops:

Back