• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

feet problems again...vibes needed

winnies angel

Mama Doe
Winston's feet have really flared up again and he now wont put his right one down so off we went to vets last night. He's now on 2ml of metacam a day and going for x-rays next week to see if its spreading into his bones
Please please please can we have some thoughts that all will be well and it hasn't spread (once its in bones its not good and just case of keeping him comfortable)
also i have been bandaging them up which he seems to like as its cushioned but when you bandages yours (nursecroft, jacks jane) do you use the bia?(on another thread) then use proper bandage over top and stick with what? Ive been using gauze for burns with shiny side on feet then sterile tape stuff to hold on. Also where would I buy the B? stuff????????

Last edited:
Thankyou. Im so scared incase his bones have become infected trying not to think like that though!

I understand your worry - From discussions with others with the problem the consensus seems to be:-
Nails need to be kept short so bunny can take weight off hocks.
Flooring needs to have "give in it" to distribute the weight of the bunny better. Some advise bedding on deep hay others advise vet bed.
Bunny needs plenty of space to move.
Meticulous attention needs to be given to cleaning out.

you've probably done all this.

If the skin is intact the consensus is not to use creams etc because they flatten the surrounding fur which is needed to cover the "bald patch."
If the skin is broken / ulcerated - very good results were recently achieved by JACK's Jane in "Lady Lydia's hocks" by using colloidial silver ("alternative medicine") & savlon colloidial gel.

I'm sorry I cannot answer your question re Nursecroft's dressing. I'll try to put this back to the forum for more experienced advice.

Bump

Back