• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbits crashing into things!!!

CDW

Warren Scout
My daft wee rabbit was just having a run around before bedtime. She went back into her rabbit room so I put a gate across the hallway to stop her getting back into our room. Poor wee bunny didn't see the gate - she came careering out of the rabbit room, banged into the gate and toppled over. She seems okay, don't think she's hurt herself.

Does anyone else's rabbits do that?

I feel really guilty now, but wanted to get her back in her room so I could go to bed!!

Awh!
Yep, mine do it all the time. I think they do it on purpose to make me feel bad.
She should be fine :)

Milo gets way too excited and runs straight into his cage walls from time to time! (While his cage door is open too, of course :roll:) I just keep on eye on him to make sure he didn't hurt himself, but so far, he's always bounced back just fine. :)

Yes, I think most buns run into things, especially if tearing around & it's new.

Bunny vision is totally different from ours. Large blind spot immediately in front & very small amount of 3D vision. It's mostly more like what we see "out of the corner of our eye". They mostly navigate by learning where things are & forming an " internal map" so any unexpected change can flummox them.

God yes! Nino once ran into the fireguard when we moved it on to the carpet whilst lighting the fire - as Thumps says.....internal map of familiarity....plus it was fine black mesh so almost invisible - he cantered straight into it and bounced off! :lol: It was actually pretty funny, he was fine, not going at speed.
Poppy has thrown herself at the glass of the back door in an attempt to breach the glass as she wanted to go back to bed now! :lol: She was fully aware it was there but thought she would test it! :roll: Again she was fine.

However, a tiny glass jar (lip balm sized) rolled off my lap one morning and went 'donk' on her head, she didn't even flinch, but that was the only possible trigger for a 'headache' and sleeping more one afternoon, getting dehydrated and she ended up going into stasis and having an impaction! :shock: It was awful. So sometimes these bangs on the head 'can' potentially cause issues so from this experience I would say keep an eye on her eating, drinking and pooing for the next few days. Pops took us by surprise, thankfully we picked up she was ill very quickly and with intensive care she survived a nasty impaction and stasis. :)

God yes! Nino once ran into the fireguard when we moved it on to the carpet whilst lighting the fire - as Thumps says.....internal map of familiarity....plus it was fine black mesh so almost invisible - he cantered straight into it and bounced off! :lol: It was actually pretty funny, he was fine, not going at speed.
Poppy has thrown herself at the glass of the back door in an attempt to breach the glass as she wanted to go back to bed now! :lol: She was fully aware it was there but thought she would test it! :roll: Again she was fine.

However, a tiny glass jar (lip balm sized) rolled off my lap one morning and went 'donk' on her head, she didn't even flinch, but that was the only possible trigger for a 'headache' and sleeping more one afternoon, getting dehydrated and she ended up going into stasis and having an impaction! :shock: It was awful. So sometimes these bangs on the head 'can' potentially cause issues so from this experience I would say keep an eye on her eating, drinking and pooing for the next few days. Pops took us by surprise, thankfully we picked up she was ill very quickly and with intensive care she survived a nasty impaction and stasis. :)

Poor Poppy!! What an awful thing to happen....and just a lip balm sized tin too.....:shock:

Poor Poppy!! What an awful thing to happen....and just a lip balm sized tin too.....:shock:

Yes it was pretty dire and we felt awful, well I felt awful, seeing as it was my fault! :( But she was just sat at my feet by the sofa whilst I unwrapped this parcel....accidents happen I guess. The emergency vet in the middle of the night didn't feel the bump on the head was the cause but we believe it was the only feasible trigger in a chain of events. She certainly spent a lot longer than usual napping that afternoon in retrospect. You never can tell with stasis leading to impactions but I suspect a headache = sleepiness = not drinking enough, and summer led to dehydration and stasis and then impaction. So I would always be cautious following a bump to the head...just to remain vigilant. :)

Yes it was pretty dire and we felt awful, well I felt awful, seeing as it was my fault! :( But she was just sat at my feet by the sofa whilst I unwrapped this parcel....accidents happen I guess. The emergency vet in the middle of the night didn't feel the bump on the head was the cause but we believe it was the only feasible trigger in a chain of events. She certainly spent a lot longer than usual napping that afternoon in retrospect. You never can tell with stasis leading to impactions but I suspect a headache = sleepiness = not drinking enough, and summer led to dehydration and stasis and then impaction. So I would always be cautious following a bump to the head...just to remain vigilant. :)

Accidents certainly DO happen. No one can anticipate everything. It sounds as if Poppy had minor concussion, but even if recognized, I don't think one would expect the result of stasis & impaction without hearing of your experience.
Thank you for sharing it with us.

My two do this all the time, I swear they cant see anything at all. :roll:

Their personal favouirte wall to crash into is the wall that has like photographs on. I swear one day, they will all come crashing down with the speed they both crash into the wall :lol:

Back